Little Bit Of Boat Restoration

My dad was given a boat a while back and we've just got round to sanding down the old paintwork ready for the new spent about 3 hours on it so far and haven't even touched it been using a belt sander with 40grit paper. Also he got an engine with it a yamaha p200 water cooled outboard but cant seem to find anything on the web about it. Here's a few pics will keep this updated as we go along.post-62464-139557353321_thumb.jpgpost-62464-139557356987_thumb.jpgpost-62464-139557359751_thumb.jpgpost-62464-139557362647_thumb.jpg

Good for you....nice little project its always going to look worse before it looks better but will be something to be proud of when finished....take plenty of pics they are great to look back on as it all comes together.

Check for osmosis below the waterline. Blisters bubble like , pop them it will smell like viniger , clean them out And fill its not a big deal but if you dont stop it will spread , is it going on fresh or sea water , Be carefull if its got anti fouling below as it will make you sick sandung it off. Jet wash then. Remove with scrapers , any holes etc above the water line just use car filler and sand back. , Dont get kidded into all marine gear ,

It's been sat in a garage for two year's so all the paintwork is pretty knackered and flaking off all over no blisters that I've seen yet. Even with a mask on ended up with a headache from the smell. Just gone over it with 40 and going to go over it again with a really fine paper to get a smooth finish. Even the marine paint costs a fortune per litre! But I'll keep this updated when I get chance to get to work on it again.

Just remember, when you grind off the gel coat of the hull you will have to replace it. The gel coat is what keeps the hull water proof. when the hull is made it starts with the gell coat painted on to a mold then the GRP is layed on topof the gel coat. You can get Flow coat which can be painted on and has the same properties as gel coat (a waterproof wax and other chemicals added to the resin) from most roofing supplies, you may have to add pigment to it to match the hull, but that is not a big problem.

Good luck.

TC

• Like 1

It's been sat in a garage for two year's so all the paintwork is pretty knackered and flaking off all over no blisters that I've seen yet. Even with a mask on ended up with a headache from the smell. Just gone over it with 40 and going to go over it again with a really fine paper to get a smooth finish. Even the marine paint costs a fortune per litre! But I'll keep this updated when I get chance to get to work on it again.

. What colour do you want to do it Be very carefull we removing paint
  • Like 1

It's been sat in a garage for two year's so all the paintwork is pretty knackered and flaking off all over no blisters that I've seen yet. Even with a mask on ended up with a headache from the smell. Just gone over it with 40 and going to go over it again with a really fine paper to get a smooth finish. Even the marine paint costs a fortune per litre! But I'll keep this updated when I get chance to get to work on it again

sometimes just a dust mask wont do ---you need a good mask same when your putting the paint on well worth the out lay ..http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/8618290/LARGE-Willson-Valuair-Plus-Half-Mask-Respirator---EN---Sold-Without-Filters---PS--.html?gclid=CK712sTPqb0CFWvkwgodyzYA4g#.Uy9U4Pl_u80

Just remember, when you grind off the gel coat of the hull you will have to replace it. The gel coat is what keeps the hull water proof. when the hull is made it starts with the gell coat painted on to a mold then the GRP is layed on topof the gel coat. You can get Flow coat which can be painted on and has the same properties as gel coat (a waterproof wax and other chemicals added to the resin) from most roofing supplies, you may have to add pigment to it to match the hull, but that is not a big problem.

Good luck.

TC

Oh right didn't know that. I was roofing up till October last year so might have a mate got a bit knocking around in a garage.