Shooting Sticks

After a few years Air rifle shooting I now have my FAC and a CZ 452 .22 and Savage Arms .17HMR in my cabinet and must say I love them both. I have been using my friends shooting sticks ( 2 legs ) recently whilst out and also borrowed a set of trigger tripod sticks from a different friend. I like the effectiveness of the tripod as its a pull of a trigger handle and legs are down without having to mess about to much but the quickness of the 2 leg sticks was so easy. Air rifle hunting there was never a need to use them really, or more the fact I didn't really look into them too much but they do make life a lot easier especially as using live rounds ans safety is obviously paramount. What are you guy's using ( if any ) and what do you think are the pro's and con's ?

Cheers all, Blackstaff :thumbs:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice job Moxy, they look very professional

I'll not embarrass myself by uploading pictures of my pathetic attempt after seeing others lol, some quality looking sticks guys ?

Haha, I thought exactly the same about mine. They won't win any beauty parades but they're sturdy and they've survived a few trips out into the field.

I use home made shooting sticks mate, all you need is some cane from DIY shop / garden centre, an old bike innertube, and installation tape, very cheap and easy to make, I watched a video on THL a while back.

I've got some small ones which are ok for prone etc, but I recently made some more for standing which are loads better.

Can't fault them, I use with air rifle, rimfire and centrefire :thumbs:

Homemade quad sticks - about £14 all in and solid as a rock. Well pleased - just followed the instructions on the Monkey Sticks thread on the Stalking Directory. Can't go wrong with them as even if you don't like them it's only £14 wasted, not £120 as I've seen them up for in the shops (albeit with nice wood etc).

I have telescopic Stoney Point (twin) sticks and have added the third leg, they are aluminium and very well made, mine are 10 years old now and as good as

new, I bought mine in the USA for about £35, (I think they are 'badged' under a different name now as Stoney Point was taken over).

Anyway, I rarely use the third leg as it's a bit of a 'faff' to set up, my wife uses it as a camera monopod instead.

Of course a couple of 'sticks' various, inner tubes etc etc are also fine but they don't telescope down to fit in the truck or the cupboard at home, but perfectly

OK, your choice.

AndyF

I made mine from a couple of green plastic coated garden centre canes. They are thin tubular ali and all you need is a bolt with a nyloc nut through them to create a basic bipod. With the wet fields lately, it gives a solid support for the rifle. Better than lying in the mud.

Nice job moxy did you make them yourself?

Thanks and yes mate.

Scrap Carbon fibre fishing poles. Stainless steel tubing. Bike Hand grips. Nuts bolts, glue and paint.

Took about an hour to do.

If I were going to do them again. I would use thinner carbon pole.

Nice job moxy did you make them yourself?

Thanks and yes mate.

Scrap Carbon fibre fishing poles. Stainless steel tubing. Bike Hand grips. Nuts bolts, glue and paint.

Took about an hour to do.

If I were going to do them again. I would use thinner carbon pole.

Nice job Moxy, they look very professional :thumbs:

• Like 1

I made mine from a couple of green plastic coated garden centre canes. They are thin tubular ali and all you need is a bolt with a nyloc nut through them to create a basic bipod. With the wet fields lately, it gives a solid support for the rifle. Better than lying in the mud.

I did the same, here are mine:

20130426_223404_zps7ed8ae65.jpg