I think a whippet would be good for that. I have got one that does the same job as rabbitting lurcher, I.E mooching, ferreting and a bit of lamping but i tend to find i usually leave as much of her in the field as what i bring home because of her thin skin and full on attitude. I think it must just be her though, as other lads on here have them and dont seem to get many skin tears but she is like a peach, bless her.

Well I did consider a greyhound too as an old neighbour used to take his out ferreting and netting but I'm thinking the whippet would be the better hunter?

My friend rob has a mix bred, she's got all sorts in her but she was like lightning, only one rabbit got away but I blamed the weather ;) like yours, mooching, ferreting and I believe she lamps too. Something I'd love to do with one of my own (and anyone else's)

Where did you get yours from? Any advice on where to look for pup with a working background?

Many thanks

Grae

Mine was rescued from a guy who was going to shoot her because his son wasnt looking after her. She would have been more use as a toast rack when i first got her home. We didnt think she was going to make it but despite their frail looks they are tough little buggers. As i type this she is curled up on my armchair with me like a lap dog, but when she is out she is anything but a lap dog. Cracking little worker, good feet but a pity about her tissue paper skin, although i wouldnt think all whippets are the same. I think a three quarter bedlington or collie whippet might be a better choice. JMO

• Like 1

Mike Brown is a well known breeder of working type K.C Whippets and has his own website I think.

I've found his page, I'll drop him an email tomorrow for more details as the site is pretty basic and stripped of info- assuming it's the right page.

Thanks for the heads up :)

• Like 1

Mine was rescued from a guy who was going to shoot her because his son wasnt looking after her. She would have been more use as a toast rack when i first got her home. We didnt think she was going to make it but despite their frail looks they are tough little buggers. As i type this she is curled up on my armchair with me like a lap dog, but when she is out she is anything but a lap dog. Cracking little worker, good feet but a pity about her tissue paper skin, although i wouldnt think all whippets are the same. I think a three quarter bedlington or collie whippet might be a better choice. JMO

That's a sad story Talt but I'm glad people on here have hearts, than, let these c*nts kill animals because they don't live upto expectations or relations fall apart.

In all fairness, and the same said for my ferrets. If they're not made for working or there's something I'd worry about as like the skin of your own mutt, they'd still be kept as pets and spoilt by me, my partner and family. So, I don't worry all that much about it being a perfect hunter- if that makes sense?

I'm also looking to find a friend for my (previously grandad's) mum's 2yo Labrador, hoping he'd bond with the whippet as well as take them out this summer for some good running and training together. Although I expect the whippet to leave the lab in it's tracks.

now then mate ive got a litter of whippets due 4th april both dam and sire are cracking little workers ,,dam works with ferrets spot on ,,sire not so good with em in afraid if your interested drop me a pm with your email address and il send you some pics ,,atb martin

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...