Last Night With The Pup (Blitz) And Cocco

Well last night I decided to take my pup blitz out along with my bitch cocco for a hour he's only 15 week old

so let him run free calling him back every now and again

so we get on to the first field slipped my bitch on a rabbit for blitz to chase her thinking she's playing he soon relies to give up he stands and watches her do her thing twisting and bending the rabbit back towards the hedge she strikes for it at the hedge one in the bag so I turn the lamp off waiting for her to bring it back to hand which is the normal thing for her to do so I wait then turn the lamp on to see that's she's retrieved it to the pup blitz so I walk towards them and see she's got it pinned to the ground while the pup is bouncing about all inquisitive with him self so I go over and incurage him to grab it but he was unsure so one in the bag

off we walked see a couple more so I walk out with the bitch on the slip the rabbit lays tight so I slipped cocco down the beam like any other night she takes it well out its seat with the pup watching her closely I left the lamp on to see weather she would retrieve it back to me or the pup sure she did straight to the pup as she pinned it to the floor the pup was straight in but just stood there and watching the rabbit kick out so I watched on for a few seconds while the pup decided what he was doing by which he just stood and stared

so I decided to walk with the rabbit in my hand holding it by it's back legs I soon felt a couple of tugs looking down there's the pup biting the rabbit so let him be as we walk through to the next field

I lamp around spot a rabbit running across the middle of the field so I slip cocco of she runs she gets behind it a couple of turns and she's nailed it and as I watch her retrieve it she goes straight to the pup as I'm walking across the field she's pinning it to the floor for the pup he goes straight in and starts to get the idea by grabbing it so cocco lets him have it then he lets it go so cocco catches it ageing and gives him it again

as we was walking back to the truck I seen another squatter so I slipped her down the beam she took it out the seat I whistled her back to me and she came running back proud as punch straight back to my hand

I was well impressed with how cocco was with the pup mother instincts and I'll be letting her teach the pup in the field as what I've seen so far seems the best way post-82313-0-02523000-1392895995_thumb.jpg

Can be disaster if they run into each other i agree but u not think u shud run a pup with an experienced dog at the start to school it roun hedges and obsticles

Imo no if the pup as been watching other dogs run on the lamp it will pick things up that way.been out with a lad that ran a pup with his seasoned dog the pup though it was play time then Thay collided broke the pups leg pup ad to be pts

If he was running with her I would of put him on his lead but he just stood and watched my bitch run so there was no issue from that point of view

Don't get me wrong soon as he starts to think he can run I'll hold him back until he's ready mentally and physically he is only 15 wk old I was just amazed at how the bitch brought the rabbits back to him and how he reacted to them

• Like 1

The pup doesn't have to be running about to ploughed into at 30mph. My dog has ran into me before and took me off my feet!! Could kill a pup outright...

Not trying to sound a c**t but its just the first thing I thought reading the post...

I don't think pups need schooling by experienced dogs either, when the pups ready it will pick things up for itself. More likely pick up bad habits IMO...

Good luck with your pup :thumbs:

• Like 4

Personally no I wouldn't, I cant see what benefit it will have on a pup. But I can see the pup might get frustrated being made to watch, and possibly yap. Or when the dog is old enough and you take it out with another dog it may not give up its catch so easily if there's other dogs about, which could mess up any retrieve training....

I would sooner take the pup out and lamp rabbits for it to watch in the beam. When its ready....

Just an opinion mate, everyone's got one. :thumbs:

15 weeks is way too young to have the pup out with the older dog on the lamp,all it takes is 1 bad experience and your pup is f****d for life.Let it have its fun as a pup and when its old enough then take it out with cooca and it will probably catch 1st time out,imagine it hiting electric fencing or barbed wire at such a young age,i have seen the makings of real good lurchers spoiled by by electric wire or barbed on a ditch line,then they will run a rabbit as far as the fence and when it goes through they stand watching it run of to safety and as most catches are made at the ditch who wants that.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Bit of ferreting to get the ball rolling then when you feel the pups ready for a slip bring it out on its own avoiding things with teeth, must admit I did get carryed away one night with a pup 12m old slipped him felt the sharp end but excelled in that quarry ever since never seen that dog turn his head to the sharp end ideally I like to double up till I think there ready, best off luck with that pup, happy hunting foaks :)