Roller Pigeons

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my kit box and some birds I had. I'm starting again with different birds this summer.

That's the mags.

just a few words to thank sighthound for his extreme generosity to me over the last few months .this gentleman has taken time out to give me lots of invaluable advice and then sent me all the way down

Posted Images

Thanks gnipper , what size pipe is it ? Think I will have a go , and wich wing feathers to you tape ? Thanks

It's a 45 degree bend off a soil pipe whatever diameter that is, 4 inch? I just tape the outside 5 flights or so too, they can get off the floor but can't fly.

Everyone says 8 days but if like me your waiting on the bloody things it's normally weeks. I've got a pair of rollers and a pair of mags locked in breeding cages and they both layed their second eggs today so should have some chicks in 18 days. Knowing my luck they'll be clear eggs or the parents won't feed the chicks.

• Like 1

yes did a feed call but they didnt know what their home looked like from outside i was only a young lad and me dad sed they wood cum back if a let them go they hung about for a hour or 2 then flew rouned the garden a few times then flew off probly back to where we got them from

If I said I hadn't lost any I'd be lying mate but the best way to do it is tape their wings up so you don't get escapees then sit them on the shed in a wire cage so they can see their surroundings and kit box and take it all in and keep them on the "peckish" side so that when you whistle or rattle your tin etc they dive on their food dish. After a couple of weeks of that let them out un taped one at a time while the taped ones are on the roof and they won't go far. Once they've had a fly and come back they will come back the next time. Once you have some birds settled its miles easier introducing new birds. Don't over feed your flying birds or fly them in the morning if you fed them at night because if they aren't hungry you will end up with them getting in the habit of sitting on rooves and ignoring your call.

• 2 weeks later...