• 1 month later...

I don't think there's such a thing as 'best' ammo. It depends on several factors including your range and band set.Different band sets work best with different ammo's, different ammo's have different distance and trajectory. Steel fires different to lead, which is different to marbles, which are different to hexies.

Trial and error is the best way - what I love, you might think is cr4p !

For what it's worth, I mostly use marbles, mainly just because they're cheap and easy to get hold of....................... :thumbs:

`what would be best fo 20 to 15 mm double theraband gold im using 14 mm lead for hunting and i took alot of game the last couple of weeks with it but i got 11 mm and 9.5 mm steel and im not as accurate with it what do you think of the steel for hunting

Like I said, I mainly use glass marbles - price low, availability high. I know a couple of guys who shoot as small as 8mm steel and swear by them.

I'd say, find an ammo you like (and can easily get more of!), stick to it and master it.......................... :yes:

Edited by Blackbriar
  • Like 1

I've killed stuff with most ammo, including a mint imperial and a garden snail. Whatever you're most accurate with is the best. I like something to have a uniform weight and size. That way you can learn the trajectory for long shots.

I use M10 hexnuts mostly. Occasionally I'll use a 10mm steel ball. When

I shoot single 1745 tubes I use M 8 hexnuts. Matching your ammo to your bands is the most important thing.

About half inch river pebbles er there abouts ,also marbles ,9.5 steels ,an am thinkin of ordering a 10mm sinker mold as well ,but i shoot tubes an occasional squares i cut from a gum rubber sheet exclusively ,never tried tbg hear it's noisy an prone to breaking like the durability of tubes an solid gum squares me self.

i could hit a 2 inch circle about 8 or 9 times out of ten with the lead but when i shoot the steel the shots be all over the place i dont no why i just cant get accurate i hit a pigeon with a 9 mm steel the other day and there was just a puff of feathers and he flew on but if that was the lead id say he would have dropped i dont no i dont really like them id say ill stick to the lead for a while

Shot placement is the most important thing. I try to head shoot most things but sometimes that's not possible. It's at times like that when you need to know what your ammo is capable of and then use it to your advantage.

36F7C2BF-4ED9-401E-BA42-830A5313BDF2_zps

This woodie was only 10 yards away and feeding on the ground. I couldn't get a head shot as the long grass was obscuring it. I knew that the 10mm steel balls I had would get decent penetration with looped 1745's at that range.

E7040B57-BD4C-4D7A-AF77-FD57CADB3CE5_zps

I took the broadside shot through the wing and the bird fell forward onto its face.

9841D0EC-0040-4B34-817B-D10DE9EADE43_zps

The steel ball had gone straight through the wing, breaking it and had continued on and penetrated the chest cavity.