Ferrets Refusing To Come Out?

RossR

thanks everyone, got these 2 jills last year from a rescue home and are excellent workers so dont want to part with them, ive got another 4 ferrets, one thats 7 and still an excellent worker with no problems,1 that doesnt work at all and 2 last years which i just started last week and are off to a good start :D going to try the tube trick in summer i think and leave them for the rest of this season :thumbs:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as....kept 2 jills and a hob back from a ltter 3 yrs ago,the jills come out no problem,the hob is a pain in the arse Im no expert and this is aimed at no one in particular,but most skulkers Ive

It may well be down to incorrect rough handling and not enough handling as a youngster..

I have had this problem before and it can be cured, how I got over the problem is spending time in the garden with them putting them in tubes and letting them run through but dont jump at them straigh

I think its the ferret, some say its grabbing them at the hole, this will be right, but in my long time of ferreting, ive had a couple, none were grabbed at the hole, or entered too young, and the rest of their litter-mates didn't peek.

So what was the cause, there were nothing different done to them, they were all treated the same.

the two I had came from different litters, ive only had the one in a litter.

i have a jill which never did that, but as i was working her with a mate he started with the rabbit trick and now she sulks as you call it, but i would never get rid of her as she is a top grafter, and doesn,t show until the warren is empty,all i do is wait until she is about a foot out the hole and i can pick her straight up, if they are good grafters they have got to be worth the wait, you cannot get nothing decent round here and it took me a while to get her,if you lose 20 to 30 minutes in the day it is nothing really as long as you are still taking plenty of rabbits of the land, atb rabbitmad.

• Like 1

THE WORSE THING YOU CAN DO KEEP ,,,GETTING HIT OUT WITH A DEAD RABBIT,,,THE CRAFTY b*****ds,,, TWIG ON TO THAT AND LET GO OF THEM,,AFTER A BIT,,,,, AND YOUR BACK TO SQUARE 1,,,,,,,,, THE ONLY TIME I USE A DEAD RABB, AND THATS WHEN IM ON A DEEP DIG,,,YOU BREAK THROUGH AND IFF THE FERRETS OUT OF ARMS REACH, LET HIM HANG ON TO HIT,,, THEN YOU CAN SET ABOUT GETTING THE BUNNYS ,,,AND FERTS IN NO DANGER OF THE SOIL GOING DOWN THE TUBE,,,,

• Like 2

Twiggy you're such a hard man lol.....

Most of the time it's down to folk who don't know how to handle or work with animals.

Sometimes however it's just down to the individual ferret.

ive worked ferrets for over 20years and bred this line for ten years.it was just a bad one.and ive no room for pets.

Same with horses ferrets can get head shy jumping and lounging towards the hole they can get a bit scared. Take some time away from rabbiting get a bit of pipe and just keep getting the ferret used to being picked up from the hole. You spend half hour every night handling it, you'll see a change. Don't make the mistake of enticing her out with food because eventually the ferret will think all of the grub is on the surface and not want to go down at all.