Children Given The Right To Die

I think it seems worse than an adult because an adult is deemed legally responsible for their actions. To give a child the right to die, but not the right to vote, drink, drive etc. seems backwards to me, because in my eyes is a bigger responsibility.

On the other hand it is their life, and you are taught and encouraged to be responsible for your own actions from a young age. This being the ultimate action, obviously. It seems worse as a parent as i would always want to cling on to every last second with my child, and just thinking about that is a heart wrenching thought because its selfish of me to want to put my child through more pain just to cling to those last seconds.

hot meat was right... :cray:

an interesting question, not sure if i agree or disagree with a childs right to, but i definitely agree with an adults right to die if they choose to.

• Like 2

It might be different in cases of when you rather your child died ,what i mean is in cases of terminal suffering illness where if the truth be know it would be better for all involved if the child would die quicly than for it to drag on and in cases like this god forbid we all might think it a good thing.And more than one fecker went throught it to have brought the whole subject up and push for it in law..........

Edited by fireman

I suppose the ultimate question would be, would you do it for your child? It is already law in the Netherlands for children over 12, but the Danish seek to make it for all children of any age.

I think unless you have been in that situation we all can only guess at what we would do. We have all been brought up with the moral code that all life is sacred. But does that mean that we have to sit back and watch a child die in agony?

Intresting read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25651758

TC

I suppose the ultimate question would be, would you do it for your child? It is already law in the Netherlands for children over 12, but the Danish seek to make it for all children of any age.

I think unless you have been in that situation we all can only guess at what we would do. We have all been brought up with the moral code that all life is sacred. But does that mean that we have to sit back and watch a child die in agony?

Intresting read.

TC

I can only speak of being in a similar situation and of knowing some one well whos lad was left severly disabled after a car crash no perant would wish their childs life to end.

• Like 1

Intresting read.

TC

I can only speak of being in a similar situation and of knowing some one well whos lad was left severly disabled after a car crash no perant would wish their childs life to end.

I 100% agree with you when you say "no parent would wish their childs life to end." Unfortunatly it does not work like that, children get sick and die. It is the manner of the child dieing that is the matter of the debate. I can only speak as hear-say, as thankfully I have never been affected by a child having an illness like that.

I will try and give a sinario where it could be possible to contemplate the use of euthanasia. A child has terminal cancer and given a week to live, despite the drugs is still in constant pain.

What would you do? The normal practice now is to put the child in a coma untill they pass naturally. But is that not in effect ending their lives? Or do you hope against hope for a miricle and just keep on with the drugs?

Not a choice I would like to make, but a choice some parents have to make. I think that the option of euthanasia will be of help to some people when making that desicion.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2

From what I understand the decision also has to be agreed with parents, doctor and psychiatrist so it isn't really totally in the childs hands. Personally i can't even begin to think what it must be like for a family that finds themselves in that position. Having said that I don't agree with it, a child is not allowed to do certain things because they are not mature enough to make appropriate decisions and this would be by far the most difficult decision anyone would have to make.