Starting From Scratch With No Foundation Coursing Stock

The problem with the salukis is they don't have tough enough skin for the unique quarry over here and they're not renowned for being hard so they don't suit the fox hunters either. Send me a message mate I have videos on YouTube of my dogs catching hares. Organised coursing is illegal over here but hunting hares with dogs is completely legal.

The general consensus that the saluki are soft, some what baffles me mate, ive found the reverse , mines done very well on reds, its not really a contest especially on lamp, they outweigh the fecker faster fitter better fed etc, think its down too getting right saluki line, my dogs sire n dam where used for protecting live stock on small holdings farms etc in south africa, as well as sport and coursing etc, they not shy or skitty types, good sound head on em as well, physically ive found him sound as a pound plenty of rips tears etc all shrugged off, ran last two years with badly damaged flexor tendon, needing constant treatment, ran him in some awful places, never seen um not give less than 100%, dont get me wrong he not superdog by a long chalk, misses his fair share lol but for a base for a line you could do a lot worse, had far less time off than most lurchers as well, again a lot of lads work there dogs harder than I do so thats too consider as well

• Like 3

How long do they take to start on fox though?

Generally people over here want their dogs killing foxes on their own by 12 months old. I've hunted with one saluki deerhound x and it was a quick bugger! But almost died on that hunt from loss of blood from our quarry we have over here.

There's not really any serious hunters over here that are serious about chasing hares. I get them for dog food and pest control pretty much. We spotlight the crap out of them and bump into them when the dogs are loose when hunting other game in the day. Some times we'll slip two dogs on one to see which dog is more agile, faster, etc.

someone recently bred a litter of pure saluki cross roodogs over here, I was going to get one but they were well out of what I'd pay for a dog.

He was around two when he chanced on one daytime, so plenty cock sure of himself by that age, he dominant by nature, so soon as it nipped him he upped his game and ended it, he not as direct in his style on em as my coursing bred, but wont refuse one, will actively chase em to ground and try dig down too em, loves hunting em

too many force young dogs on to stuff before they mentaly ready too up the stakes quarry wise, better let em find there own feet imho, old saying dont send boys too do mens jobs

• Like 2

thanks for the advice and the names Maxhardcore and you made alot of sense, i am not really in a position to own enough dogs or have enough spare money to follow exactly what you advised but i wish i could! i was and am still thinking saluki lines are the way to go but i would love to hear more about borzoi's and crosses. if you can point me to your youtube clips Ausnick i would love to see them. i will check out the aloe site more thoroughly tomorrow, thanks Tomo. goodnight...

He was around two when he chanced on one daytime, so plenty cock sure of himself by that age, he dominant by nature, so soon as it nipped him he upped his game and ended it, he not as direct in his style on em as my coursing bred, but wont refuse one, will actively chase em to ground and try dig down too em, loves hunting em

too many force young dogs on to stuff before they mentaly ready too up the stakes quarry wise, better let em find there own feet imho, old saying dont send boys too do mens jobs

i recently acquired an older experienced dog (grey x stag x ridge) to back up my 10 month old stag for this reason as she was regularly chasing foxes (not catching) one out and i thought when she does get one it might put a fright through her. she is well on the way to taking care of them herself by 12 months now. we will see... do you hunt in the Netherlands? i have family in Nijmegen, i did not like amsterdam much but Nijmegen was a beautiful place.

Go down importing straws off Salukis and Saluki/lurchers it won't be out of your price range.

Re folk in Oz want them doing fox at 12 mts

Have some Patcience man or breed a Patterdale x Greyhound lol

The average staghound will kill at 12 months mate. I've got one 11 months old doing the job now.

Hares in plague proportions and totally legal were do I sign up? what sort of ground and size of fields/land ect do you run over there in OZ. Can you put the link up of your dogs coursing Ausnick :thumbs:

I hunt paddocks from 10 acres up to a thousand acres

This clip was from two dogs that I had never ran on day time hares before, they were bred for big game and the brown bitch that's falling behind had been chasing it for over a minute before I started videoing. It was their first hunt from having a 2 month break as the brown bitch broke her leg and the black dog had a severely broken toe

plenty good saluks in usa if you cant import them from other countrys, and quite a few aussie ranchers along texas arizona etc border simliar ground to ozz,saw some cracking dogs 26 27 inches at shoulder run over rocky land dry heat cactus cat claw areas,i no afew vets who have them to handy people to no hope you get what you want ,

thanks for sharing Ausnick, i won't complain if you have any more! i have heard there are some very good coursing dogs in the usa, i wish we had the same quantities here, but as long as i can find quality i will be happy. the quarantine laws here are a killer. there is a minimum 10 day stay which is actually better than i thought, but the fees are quite exorbitant and of course the buyer has to pay vet checks at country of origin and destination. if there is something wrong while in quarantine things can very quickly get out of hand. i think straws are a more viable option

I am reading with great interest about the various salukis around and the sugestion that imports are the way to go. This may or may not b the right path to follow it comes down to personal choice. There are plenty of lines in the UK that with the right owners and the right handling would ensure regular numbers of various quarries being caught. You need two qualities in abundance with salukis the first is patience and the second is adaptability you need to be able to adjust to the difference in temprement and running styles between the line bred lurchers and the pure salukis. , with the numbers of dogs being imported and the endemic leaning towards money in the coursing game I can visualise a lot more salukis on the preloved and other sales sights as said many times salukis are not everyones cup of tea a lot of the coursing lads I know would not have the temprement to get the best out of a good saluki.

• Like 1

that is interesting Desertbred, i have heard salukis are a 'unique' breed and the patience and temperament thing i can understand, but what do you mean by adapting to the running styles? i am intrigued by the saluki but wether a saluki is suitable for me or i am suitable for a saluki will be hard for me to find out as they are not a common breed here. whatever dogs i own i do not make the decision lightly and i certainly try to be patient. it is definitely easier to be patient for a magnificent animal.