Starting From Scratch With No Foundation Coursing Stock

i am curious as to what breeds you wise and knowledgable coursing legends would use to start a coursing line if you had no experienced coursing dogs, and no proven lines of coursing dogs as an option.Here in Australia there are many working dogs, such as staghounds, kelpies, ridgebacks, deerhounds, whippets, greyhounds, bull terriers, wolfhounds, cattledogs, pit bulls etc Also there is every mix imaginable for pig dogs as hunting pigs with dogs is insanely popular here (and great fun!) there does not seem to be many working saluki or saluki x and there does not seem to be alot of hare coursing done here (maybe it is illegal) but regardless i am curious what you (the hunting life members) would do if you were in this situation. this is pure fantasy talk as i do not wish to advocate anything illegal and i am not even sure what the laws are for coursing hares with dogs in Oz. i am interested in what the opinions are of some experienced coursing practitoners are. If there are any aussies here who are familiar with the laws i would also be interested. ATB

im not a coursing nut mate . but a quick google search shows theres still coursing clubs in oz . it would be a starting point

to see if anyone still running fur rather than a plastic bag

there are more people on here better qualified to point you in the right direction that me ... hope you find what your looking for :thumbs:

I'm on the nsw vic border. Mostly chase hares but not by choice. They're just everywhere here and too easy to get the dogs onto them. I can't say what suits people in England will suit us here. I need dogs that have a good strike and will catch quick. It's not uncommon for the hares to have a couple hundred metre lead, it's the same with all the game I hunt really.

i haven't coursed hares much and when i have my dogs haven't stood a chance. i own a mixed sighthound bitch (wolf, deer, whippet, grey and i am not sure what the percentages are) who is about 10 months old and a 1/4 grey 1/4 stag 1/2 ridge male which is about 7 yrs old. they are both good keen dogs but have not had the speed or endurance to catch hares so far but i am keen to change that with my next dog. i like the sound of your borzoi x and i am curious to know more about them, like what do you cross with? do you breed? and have you had much experience with other sighthounds? i wish you happy hunting and i am more than a little jealous you have too many hares!

A bit mad for us over here to comment ,,,, but I would have thought,, a good line if stag,,or roo dog,,, put over a Saluki,,, would be your starting point,,,, much the same as the coursing dogs over here were from good bitsa lurchers put to salukis,

• Like 2

thanks Tomo and Arcticgun, i appreciate your advice and i hope speculating on what would be a good coursing dog for Australia does not cause any grief for you. things must be really crazy over there. i am still not sure what the laws are here in oz but i am yet to hear of any legal issues with coursing here. i was thinking saluki would be the best option but i know options are very limited for working saluki although many show breeders aparently use imported working lines and do have an understanding of the saluki's unique talents wether or not it would work out or not, there is only one way to find out i guess... also thanks very much quantox for the victoria coursing club link, i tried to call them but could not get through but i will be in contact with them. If you have a chance Ausnick i have a million questions i would like to ask you about the borzoi alone! let alone other topics and thank you for taking the time you have. if anyone else has had experience with borzoi's i am very interested to hear particularly their strengths/ weaknesses, endurance, acceleration, etc

Click on the link,,, then click on the shop,,, then on the left side there's a list,, pets and home,,, click that....

That being said almost all the products that humans use ,,,dogs can some of the drinks are great for dogs with mobility problems,,, aging dogs with arthritis ,,, and osteo arthris,,,

Or if there's any questions,,,there's an email link,,, it's mrs site,,,

Dont knos a lot about oz but am sure most of itvwide open spaces sk big they simply cannot be policed even by passer by type sneak grasses, you lucky man if theres loadsa hares, if it where me I would start with pure saluki, good wind feet confirmation etc then half cross to greyhound then 3/4 sal grey , place that size law would be last thing on my mind for sure

if import laws tight or costly sperm straws way to go as maxh says plenty greys out their to put em into