Dog Not Taking Notice Of Rabbits

Came in from work to find out that mine was in my daughters rabbit hutch earlier licking the rabbits face whilst the rabbit sat and let her. Took her down the woods like old yeller. There's no hope for dogs like that :laugh:

She's the same age as yours. At the minute were doing a bit of retrieving. She sits and stays but apart from that I'm getting her in the woods or out in the fields and moors and letting her roam to her hearts content. Taking everything in, and learning about the world is more important at a young age. Basics yeah. But just let them be a pup.

• Like 1

Get some one to give you a rabbit (dead) and beat the dog round the head afew times did the trick for me mate

Ah the old beatwithadeadrabbittechnique :yes:

Well I said it works for me what I ment is he just runs off with them and eats them anyone no how to stop it???? Av tryed everything apart from beat it to near death with a big stick

• Like 1

Get some one to give you a rabbit (dead) and beat the dog round the head afew times did the trick for me mate

Well I said it works for me what I ment is he just runs off with them and eats them anyone no how to stop it???? Av tryed everything apart from beat it to near death with a big stick

If you tie a piece of cord around it's throat tight but not too tight we want it to breathe but not be able to swallow it should stop it ;) Also if you leave said cord with a long trail it makes it easier to catch and beat the fuucker :yes:

ATVB Shroom :thumbs:

• Like 2

If you tie a piece of cord around it's throat tight but not too tight we want it to breathe but not be able to swallow it should stop it ;) Also if you leave said cord with a long trail it makes it easier to catch and beat the fuucker :yes:

ATVB Shroom :thumbs:

abit like the chinese fishing with birds :thumbs:

• Like 1

Depending on the breeding, many pups just don't have the instinct or abilities to look further than their nose at this age. Their primary sense when young is smell, and I find that most of my pups have their noses glued to the ground, and fail to see rabbits hopping about up the field. Don't worry about it at all: your pup will start seeing those rabbits soon enough: then you'll be better off encouraging it to play with you rather than letting it chase rabbits it has no chance of catching. Chasing rabbits when young is all very well, but disheartening to a pup if if continually fails to catch.

If you can, take it ferreting now, just for half an hour or so. If you can't do this, then get an old rabbit skin, dried, and have fun hiding it in a hedge and getting the pup to sniff it out, with much encouragement from you. The spotting rabbits in the distance will come with age, hopefully not before the pup has got enough physical maturity to stand a chance of actually catching what it chases.

• Like 1