Dogs Wont Keep Hold Of Rabbit

dogs doing my head in catching rabbit as they come back to me they put them down and they run of got to catch same rabbit 3 or 4 times wish I could make them a bit harder in mouth takes up a lot of time any ideas

my old dog is the same mate hes 9 now and on the odd few occasions i take him out now hes still the same.

I no of a dog that will not hold rabbits or owt it picks up, it drops them and they run off the dog is now coming 3 years old he has tryed everything but the dog justs drops um. It's Sutch a shame the dogs like lightning and can jump owt...atb

Edited by jack68

the bitch is 4 and the other 14 months catching plenty of rabbits had 16 last night they keep putting them down right by me and run of to catch again

Are they comfortable in or around your space ,??if 2 of them are at it , it would appear everything is fine in their ability , it's just the connection of the last 3 foot or so, ever disciplined or confronted for jumping up or similar ??

The dog may be having to change its mind set coming into your zone , from feeling predator to feeling prey like due to lack of confidence in that zone,

don't think its that or training really, as got 2 dogs here been trained the same way to bring back, and the older dog as always been the same bring them back ,and will put them on the floor by you , so got to get to them quick.lol But the younger dog holds on to them and never looses them, as he don't like to give them to you really lol, but he will stand still with rabbit, its just different temps I think :yes:

ray mate, you're contradicting yourself! two dogs with different temperaments but trained the same way, course they will respond differently! i have always found it important to alter my methods so they suit different dogs in order to get the same end resault

twistturn, not trying to sound rude but from what youve said it sounds as though they werent properly trained to retrieve in the first place. i consider the first season of full work for a dog to be really just training, and that includes fine tuning things like retrieving dead bunnies and being exactly where i want them at any point in the training schedule before moving on to the next stage. sound s to me as though both of those dogs were started hunting before the fetch was fully trained. i might have got that wrong, only judging by the information you have given, but if thats the case then you will have to go right back to basics and untrain the bits you dont want, and remodel the retrieve into the way you want it. might be a long task, good luck.

the bitch is 4 and the other 14 months catching plenty of rabbits had 16 last night they keep putting them down right by me and run of to catch again

Are they comfortable in or around your space ,??if 2 of them are at it , it would appear everything is fine in their ability , it's just the connection of the last 3 foot or so, ever disciplined or confronted for jumping up or similar ??

The dog may be having to change its mind set coming into your zone , from feeling predator to feeling prey like due to lack of confidence in that zone,

don't think its that or training really, as got 2 dogs here been trained the same way to bring back, and the older dog as always been the same bring them back ,and will put them on the floor by you , so got to get to them quick.lol But the younger dog holds on to them and never looses them, as he don't like to give them to you really lol, but he will stand still with rabbit, its just different temps I think :yes:

ray mate, you're contradicting yourself! two dogs with different temperaments but trained the same way, course they will respond differently! i have always found it important to alter my methods so they suit different dogs in order to get the same end resault

fair point that :thumbs:

Ive a bitch here that catches in company and runs 2 fields away to drop her catch,thus I prefer to take her out on her own at times.Going back to basics aids some dogs,most are set in their ways.Dogs like this need working on their own to rectify the problem, it may never cure the more resolute mutt.Ratting makes some dogs bite harder,wringing a bunny out before you put it in the bag becomes tedious at times,but a dead bunny seldom escapes,work the dog on bolters and control the catches,then re-lamp.