I Dug Deep and Threw Well back

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:(

" Pup ", As I Always Called Him

post-3041-1190495222.jpg

There he is, bless him. 'My Little Policeman'. I called him that because he was like the little Sergeant to my Officer. I'd tell the Dogs what I wanted of them. They wouldn't get the message - or would just laughingly choose to play up. Pup would get amongst them and instill a bit of discipline and order.

He was a good little Dog. Never showed any bad. Half Staffie, half American Pit Bull ~ I can say that now, of course. Now that no b*****d can hurt him, just because of how they percieve his breeding. F*ck 'em! In fact, I brought several Dogs through the Krystal Nacht of the DDA and the Genocides that followed. I've had such Dogs for about twenty five years now, truth to tell. But I'd long since sworn that Pup would be my last.

Not just the constant stress of having a Dog some b*****d may, at any time, turn round and do the Body Snatchers point and scream at. They're just too much to have other Dogs around. Pup was no exception. He worshipped my Big Dog. But yet I've lost count of the number of times when, maybe because the big'n wound me up and I raised my voice to him. Maybe 'Just Because'. But Pup would launch himself at the big Dogs face and be pulling the skin and flesh from his cheek as I waded in, seperating them. Ye just can't live with that. And I'm not a bloke to imprison Dogs in seperate kennels, to be taken out, used and returned to their cells. So a pitched battle, couple of times a year, was how we all got on together. Ian B and Millet both saw how volatile Pup could be. He was just too heavy handed with his discipline of the big Dog. But we lived perfectly happily, the vastest majority of the time.

Well, anyway, I think he was about eight or so by now. I have his (half) Pedigree here but haven't bothered to check it. But, in Bull 'n Terrier terms, I knew he was getting on a bit. He was gradually showing less and less interest in getting involved, when say, something set the rest off and they all rushed out, barking. Pup would just look up from his bed and go back to snoozing, contentedly.

I kept him fat as a mole for a while too. Deliberate effort to tone down his capability, if not penchant, for raising hell as the mood struck him. Ironically, these last six months I brought him fit again. God, he was lean and tough! Looked years younger and, yeah, you've guessed it: The fights doubled in frequency and ferocity. Big Dog having long since grown up himself a bit and realised he was powerful in himself and could actually trash this aging warrior. Mean't tha b*****d would try to follow through. Gave me some hard times that did. I'd break the initial grips and then have to keep the big'n away as I dragged the screaming Pup to 'safety'! Great fun, I can assure ye! :icon_eek:

Well, anyway; I was off into town on Wednesday and left Pup communing with his mate, the donkey, through the fence. Just sat there loving his huge, hairy mate. When I came back, no Pup. I shit myself and said to St. Thomas, my taxi driver, that I'd lost a Dog. I dashed in here and then round the back of the cottage, and there was Pup. Stood looking at me, with pine needles all over his back. He'd been up amongst my trees. Hadn't been up there in months. Weird Dog, I thought.

I came in and got their dinners ready. Called pup to his and he didn't want to know. Wouldn't sniff it. Wouldn't open his mouth when I pushed the fresh meat to his lips. I knew then.

Later that evening he dissapeared. I got the light and went out after him. I knew where I'd find him. And there he was. Laying quietly under the fir trees. I went to him and snuggled up to him. Noticing how his coat gleamed. I assured him of how much I loved him and we spoke of times. Eventually, after he'd got up and walked a short way to pee, then coming back to his chosen spot, I realised I could be there all night and it was doing no one any great good. I'd best just leave him in peace. I came in here and ~ having no PC at that point ~ busied myself in some work in my Pest Control Room.

Then I heard Pup drinking water from the communal drinking bowl. I can tell each of my Dogs by their manner / sound of lapping and knew it was him. I looked out to see him toddling in here. Ten minutes later and there he was, snug in his own bed. I went to him again and gave him a cuddle and talked to him. Then I sat down here, in this chair and started pouring can after can of Guinness down my neck, in an effort to get drunk. That didn't work. So I hit the Jack Daniels. And, at some point in the smallest hours. I passed out, in this chair. And Pup passed away, in his bed. Warm. Comfortable. Surrounded by those he loved and who loved him too.

Later that day, I went into town and bought a pickaxe. I normally had my Dogs cremated and returned to me. But for what? I have a stack of small boxes out there. Each one containing the ashes of one of my past loved ones. I'll not be leaving here. I've finally settled now. When I go, they can cremate me too. And I want My ashes spread over what'll likely, by then, be quite the little Doggy grave yard. Up there, beneath my fir trees, where Pup told me he wanted to rest.

So, there ye have it. The very last of my Bull 'n Terriers. Heh! And already I'm thinking how now I can bring another male Dog home. My big Dog's not Dog aggressive, nor are my bitches. I reckon I just have the one more, full Dog left in me now. I know the breed. I know the breeder. He's long since promised me ~ almost Begged me to have ~ one of his own, world class pups. I have some shit to deal with yet. But one day, ever hopefully soon, I'll be in just the right position to oh so gratefully recieve. There's nothing else stopping me now. My 'Little Policeman', Pup, has retired. Bless him.

Thanks for bearing with me. 'Night, 'night; Puppy Dog. I love you, mate.

:cry:

Edited by Ditch_Shitter

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ditch I know where yer coming from.Sorry for yer loss of an exceptional friend.I lost my 10 year old bitch ,pit/staff cross a while back and theres something about this breed type that hits the spot no other dog does.You gave him everything he deserved so dont fret too much,look back and realise just how much better your life has been since ye first met up.I've had lots of dogs over 4 decades but there were only 2 real special ones,a lurcher a bull breed .Chin up mate and all the best.

Edited by jigsaw