Protection / Lubrication / Cleaner / Oil

i just use a bit of 3 in 1 oil :icon_redface:

but ive heard a couple of people raving on about froglube , might try it if i ever get a gun thats worth more than a packet of crisps :laugh:

sewing machine oil, its cheaper than pucker gun oil but of a similar viscosity, cleaner would depend on the gun type, any centre fire would require a good copper solvent where as a shotgun would only need 009 along with kitchen roll and a mop,

Loads of cleaners/oils on the market, everyone will have their favourite/preferred options, Legia is useful for a quick once over, but I have a cupboard full of the usual, and many I have tried and not been a fan of!

Can't beat the aroma of the Youngs ( not the modern P.H. knockoff).

I have good results for outside cleaning and preservation with a mix of clean engine oil (20-50, 15-40) and W.D.40 in parts 80% oil to 20%W.D.40.

When I first mixed it and wiped it over the lettering on a blued rimfire I noticed it didn't fill the lettering as some oils do but attached itself into the letters like shrink plastic effect.

I described it as a liquid magnet,this being the limit of my chemistry knowledge.

A friend who works in oil and gas and is highly qualified in chem. confirmed this.She stated it makes a molecular bond to the steel due to the electrical charges in the subatomic particles.

A rifle that looked clean got a wipe down and looked prestine after but the rag was orange.

The solution on the rag had attracted the oxides.

Thats where I prefer them to be.

Was interesting how the 1896 Swede looked after , deep blue and super clean with the old oils and a little dust removed by this mix..

Once mixed it keeps forever and a annual going over of anything in my safe protects for a year.( I get 3.6metres of rain annually too).

A dry off and later wipedown after normal use keeps those ones fine too.

I am careful about penetrants around pins and primers but this mix I have found is a good cleaner and preserver.

Best Wishes Toni.