Ferrets Compared To Wild Polecats

there is a point you have missed for domestication, if you take a passage goshawk it will not look at large ground game rabbit/hare but a captive bred one will take them with little effort as it has the falconer to back it up and finish the job quickly, the same may well be true of wild polecats would they exclusively live on what we believe them to live on basing our assumptions on our domesticated ferrets, the mink in the United kingdom are not truly wild but are indeed descended from semi domesticate stock that had no natural fear of humans or any idea on food sources for long term survival, having not had the history of the wild generations before them to imprint their behaviour, i spent a summer watching a couple of mink feeding their young near a wear-pool their diet consisted mainly of small rodents and young water birds, so perhaps they are learning through the generations what survival in the wild entails

We hunt large hares with passage goshawks all the time in the states, but I do get your point. A chamber raised bird or an imprint is going to be far more brazen than a passage bird.

I hunt with pure ranch mink all the time, and they still have their instincts fully intact. Though I'm sure the instincts of a pure wild mink are much sharper.

its a simple matter of self preservation any injury or disadvantage( missing/broken primaries etc.) will likely lead to death in the wild, wild goshawks are in the main bird hunters of the forests, they do take small mammals but a good kick from a fully grown hare is likely to cause injury or damage

Our American Goshawks take a fair number of cotton tailed rabbits, but cottontails are small and weak compared to European rabbits. Like you said, in falconry we can get our birds to take some pretty big stuff, because they now we are there to help them afterwards.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without sounding too much of a twat, perhaps consider getting someone who has a lifetime of experience and education on the subject of ferrets and polecats to write that small section for you? As a gu

William Palmer..... You're being a tit mate.

I do find it odd that when writing a book about training mink, that you add a couple of chapters about ferrets. I cannot work out what they would add to the book? Unless, it is to draw a parody of the

Posted Images

You say you've. "Trained" that mink , you havnt lol , it's just doing what comes naturally to it , running around in a muddy ditch chasing anything it sees, then when it finally does make a kill you put the carry box next to it and it takes it inside then you pretend you've thought it to do that haha, that isn't training, get your head out of your ass minkenry

Really, lets see you do it then. You go catch a mink, "train" it to run around in a muddy ditch chasing anything it sees, then get it to put what it catches in a box. Heck, I challenge you to do that with ANY non ferret!

When you're done, make a video and show us what you've done. I'd bet a fair sum of money you couldn't even get a mink to let you hold it bare handed, and that's the easy part.

Talks cheep buddy, let's see what you can do!

Oh, and when you're done with that, lets see you train a mink to go in a chicken coop, ignore the squaking chickens, kill a rat, then drag it out and put it in it's box. Watch this video...

Talks cheap buddy. Let's see what you can do!

where's all the chickens? And no I wouldn't even consider training one of them dirty things, rather watch a couple of terriers rag the f**k out of it ;)

Right, so you hate all mink and want to kill them all? BIG MAN.

You ever actually killed a mink?

I've hunted and killed them. And round here, I'd kill one on sight.

But I'm able to grasp that in the country where they are a NATIVE species. . . . perhaps they are not PURE EVIL, or even that much of a menace.

It's somewhat of a basic attitude, to believe that an entire species is EVIL. . . . because of the negative consequences caused when some of that species is in the wrong place or causing a problem.

It's similar to being someone who hunts foxes and saying you HATE foxes and all should be wiped off the planet. . . . . . .

At the end of the day they are very closely related to ferrets and are fascinating creatures and great hunters. And this is both the reason that they are a total headache here and must be dealt with, and the reason I quite like them. . . . .

It's a bit like someone who keepers on a grouse moor, where there are feral ferrets which must be killed on sight, saying every ferret, every where. . . . . must die.

As for slating what the guy has achieved. . . . . . I'm not even going to go there. He has a mink that catches fish and he can handle etc. Beats most folk. . . .

P.S I'm not a hippy, I just have long hair. . . . and with that comment you REALLY do make yourself seem like BELL END!

• Like 3

You say you've. "Trained" that mink , you havnt lol , it's just doing what comes naturally to it , running around in a muddy ditch chasing anything it sees, then when it finally does make a kill you put the carry box next to it and it takes it inside then you pretend you've thought it to do that haha, that isn't training, get your head out of your ass minkenry

Oh, and one last thing. Since what I do is so easy, I say you put your money where your mouth is. $250 U.S. Dollars says you can't train a mink to do what mine do. It takes me 2-3 months to train a mink, I'll double that and give you six months.

Do we have a bet?

No. We see them as a pest species here, and deal with them accordingly. Ive only ever posted 2/3 times on your threads.. theres a reason for that. Just out of curiosity can you tell me how your people and hunting forums have taken your sport? Also, why the need to post in the falconry section too as mink dont have wings! You come across as an attention seeker..

Oh, and one last thing. Since what I do is so easy, I say you put your money where your mouth is. $250 U.S. Dollars says you can't train a mink to do what mine do. It takes me 2-3 months to train a mink, I'll double that and give you six months.

Do we have a bet?

No. We see them as a pest species here, and deal with them accordingly. Ive only ever posted 2/3 times on your threads.. theres a reason for that. Just out of curiosity can you tell me how your people and hunting forums have taken your sport? Also, why the need to post in the falconry section too as mink dont have wings! You come across as an attention seeker..

Yep, you are correct, I am an attention seeker. I am seeking attention for minkenry. I am trying to grow the sport so I'm not the only one doing it. So far I have close to a dozen Americans working with me, and a couple Europeans. My goal is to spread the sport, and share what we learn. There is no way I can learn or experience everything, and having multiple people working on a problem is the best way to come up with a solution. So the sport will become more advanced the more quality people are practicing it. I have already learned a lot from my fellow minkeners. In many incidences the teacher becomes the student, and that is my goal. To learn from others and become better at our sport, so I then can teach others what we have learned and help them to become successful as well. It may have started with me, but together we can take this sport to levels I could never achieve on my own.

So yes, I am an attention seeker. I seek those interested in Minkenry. I seek those who are older, wiser, and have more experience in different areas than I do, so they can help me learn as I help them learn. That way we all learn together, and we can take minkenry to a whole new level!

..and thus, the one true messiah of minkenry set forth on a travel from forum to forum in a search for disciples. Crowds did gather to show interest in the wonder of his mink hunting exploits but the messiah wasn't happy with this. "This, my children is a new way, come follow me any I will show you the light for I am the father of minkenry and all shall know my name!" But a few voices in the crowd spake thus. "Why do you not just enjoy your hunting oh messiah of mink, and shareth a few videos with us to enjoy from the tube of you?" "No, this is not the one true way of minkenry! Why do you blaspheme me thus? My teachings are the way of hunting with mink, and all who follow shall proclaim my name loudly and forever revere me!"