Diabetics

Sound imagine theres afew of us on here , it does my head in trying to work out what to eat

One week somethings ok to eat the next week its a no no

So how do others manage there carbs ?

i know some that will eat some foods and others will totally avoid them such as potatoes

how do others manage ?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Type 2 Diabetes normally comes on late 30s & up wards , its caused through not looking after your diet through life , basically your pancreas has been working over time producing insulin all the t

Baw ,if you over 30 , do yourself a favour and go to the quacks a couple of times a year , get your bloods done and a bit of an mot , don't wait for symptoms to show , theres a myriad of things that d

Wish my old pal took all the advise onboard. He thought it was all a big joke, sadly he paid the ultimate price in finding out it wasn't .. Sure it was type 2 he had but not certain. Look after yours

just eat what you want but eat in moderation and at regular intervals so your sugar levels stay pretty level check you sugar regularly at first and adjust your diet increasing or decreasing as required stay of alcohol as it can cause sugar levels to rise and fall quickly , stay away from the so called diabetic foods most of them are just a rip off.

• Like 2

just eat what you want but eat in moderation and at regular intervals so your sugar levels stay pretty level check you sugar regularly at first and adjust your diet increasing or decreasing as required stay of alcohol as it can cause sugar levels to rise and fall quickly , stay away from the so called diabetic foods most of them are just a rip off.

What he said

Sort your 24 hour Insulin out first ,you can see how much you need buy just eating proteins & water ''No sugar or Carbs in protein'' for 2 days no slacking test your blood before you have your 24 hour insulin,''Sugars should be around 7'' once you've found out how many units of the 24 hour Insulin you need then you half way there , then just adjust how much ''Rapid working insulin'' you need when eating Carbs/sugars try & stay away from the sugars unless your going weak , normally 1 unit of rapid insulin to ''10 grams/1 portion'' of Carbs, try & eat natural foods fruit/veg rice & hopefully your sugars will be ok .

Good luck.

I'm diabetic and a skinny f****r and wandered about the same thing. I wanna eat loads to keep the weight on, but find it hard as I'm really active and cant sit still for 2 minutes. But I don't want to eat loads in case it fucks up my blood sugar. there must be something I can eat loads of, that wont upset the blood sugar and I can also add the weight on....any ideas???

You can eat as much as you want when you want but make sure you inject the right amount of Insulin to how many Carbs/sugars you eat, skinnier diabetics normally have higher blood levels . sort your blood levels & you should start gaining your weight back.

Edited by BOLSTER

eat porridge for breakfast as much as you like very good for diabetics brings the sugar levels down . go on one of the diabetic courses in your area very good info on them . but basically eat sensibly its took me 4 years of being diabetic to realise that . and to get my sugars under control watching the ray gravell story about the welsh rugby legend frightened me into eating more sensible and looking after my diabetes . :thumbs:

• Like 1

t2 eat what you want including chocolate just eat everything in moderation and keep active so sugar levels remain stable and check cholesterol regularly you can sometimes control t2 by diet and exercise otherwise usually metformin tabs and if uncontrolled there is an american injection called victosa you can take once a day to control sugar levels and blood pressure but a side effect it causes weight loss.

• Like 2

Wish my old pal took all the advise onboard. He thought it was all a big joke, sadly he paid the ultimate price in finding out it wasn't .. Sure it was type 2 he had but not certain. Look after yourselves chaps...

• Like 3

The advice that your giving Desert bred , is roughly what my practise nurse told me , but to be honest it didnt realy work as we,re not all the same

my 6 monthly blood checks have been in the 6 range for a while , but still ended up with eye problems , so for me i try to low carb as much as i can (not easey )

Sorry for your friend Alimac , what annoys me is the lack of clear information on packaging ect if people where better educatated and the lableing was easier to understand there'd be alot less deaths and burden on the nhs

I found out when I was just about to leave the army and the information I got was shite. They gave me nutritional advice but I lost a stone in two weeks, which I cant afford to lose. I'm on metformin tablets at the moment..one a day.

I eat my porridge every morning and on 4 meals a day, but still cant gain wait. It might because I have to work for a living for the first time in 3 years...lol

I think I need to cut out spuds, and re-educate myself on the food I can eat.