A Walnut Handle For My Fieldcrafter

I thought I’d just share a little project I’m up to at the moment. I got a wonderful Fieldcrafter blank for Christmas from the wife which I’m even more glad to have got my hands on one now that Matt has stopped making them. It really is a wonderful blade! Anyway, I’m sure you’re all aware of the quality of these knives so I won’t ramble on too much about them, but if you haven’t got one and ever get the chance to own one, do it! You won’t be disappointed.

My next problem was how to choose what to make the handle scales out of, so many choices! Micarta always looks good in a utilitarian kind of way, the Corian stone effect ones the Matt was offering were very nice indeed too! (I nearly bought a white one in his end of shop mad sale!) But as my knife is hopefully going to be something that I can pass on to my son in some very distant year I thought I’d go for a classic look. For this I chose English Walnut, classy and classic I hope it’ll be a fitting finish to this fantastic blade. This also means when I get some nice walnut furniture for my rifle they will be a matching pair.

I found some nice looking pieces of wood from an eBay seller for a reasonable price and a few days later they landed through my door. Happily they look as nice in real life as on the advert so I pleased.

IMAG2838_zps71585350.jpg

Not so happily they were very rough cut and had deep gouging all over, one was also slightly warped. Oh well, no bother, nothing that some elbow grease wouldn’t sort out! So tonight I’ve made a start. First job was to prep the sides that will be bonded to the tang as they were far from ready. So I sat down in from of an episode of Ray Mears (seemed appropriate!) with some sand paper and a flat surface and set to it. The warped one took almost a whole episode of Ray passing on his knowledge to get flat but it ended up how I wanted it.

Notice opposite corners have been sanded but the middle remains rough.

IMAG2836_zps27b5d24a.jpg

The scratches in the center were very persistent!

IMAG2855_zps798ced66.jpg

But eventually it was made flat!

IMAG2861_zps948adac3.jpg

This pic shows how much bend there was. Right hand edge is original, left is sanded.

IMAG2864_zps49abdd59.jpg

The second block took nowhere near as long and before long I could sketch out where I’d like to cut the scales from, making the most of the pattern and avoiding as many problematic bits of the wood as possible.

IMAG2870_zpse2f073af.jpg

Well, that’s enough for tonight, I’ll keep you posted as things progress. Thanks for reading, if anyone has any tips I’d be more than happy to receive them. I’ve done my research but this is the first time I’ve made knife scales, here’s hoping they turn out ok! Later this year I hope to try the whole process and make some blades from some files I have saved for the purpose.

Jim

mega important to make sure the wood is properly seasoned, or it can warp when it is attached to the knife, and break the adhesive bond.. Keep it in the environment you intend to store it in, prior to sticking it to your Blank...

I speak ............. from experience... the day before completing a friends present.... :cray:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
UPDATE... it's finished!!!

tonight I got some man cave time so wasted no time in cracking on with the knife handle. It's not perfect, mistakes were made and lessons learned. But for a first go I really rather chuffed with it! it fits beautifully in my hand, so comfortable. Can't wait to try it out in anger and see if it's still as comfy.

feedback welcomed both positive and constructive.

Jim

IMAG3065_zps359cfc94.jpg

IMAG3066_zpsbc47257d.jpg

IMAG3067_zpsf192c643.jpg

This is after I lightly oiled it:

IMAG3088_zpsea0e394f.jpg

IMAG3083_zps645c3fd4.jpg

IMAG3084_zps03e86406.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, I've done deliberately to have a thicker handle. Slightly thicker than Matts standard handle I think, as I like them that way. One of the advantages of doing your own!

Thanks for the kind words guys, glad you like it.

Jim

are you making ya own sheeth for it I have enough leather hear for you to build ya own

Not sure Moxy, I don't want it to end up too dark and loose the patterns in the wood. That why I used neats foot oil as it's the palest oil I have. It still went a fair bit darker after only one light coat, so really not sure. I used to subscribe to the "once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, once a year forevermore" principle of oiling new wood to ensure proper protection, but it'd end up basically black! Any suggestions welcome....

The next one I do I'll use a very pale wood with some really defined burls in. Maybe some spalted birch, or something with cats paw in. Don't think I'll make on from such dark wood to start with again.

Jim

Edited by WoodsmanJim
  • Like 1