Best + Other Footballers Of 60-80S ??

after takling to my brother, and reading the (free ball takers) post, was thinking was Best+ others of his era, were they as good as todays footballers.? Ive looked ar Best loads of times,and all the stuff he did, he deff at time on the ball.But todays game i dont think he would have shone so much.Lets face it the game is alot faster, the players fitter, stronger, just alround better players.My brother loves Man-u and thought the world of Best, where as i am a Wolves fan, and liked Bully lol , ok Bully wouldnt live with today players, but he did knock few in for the Wolves, and played for England few times.But i think players from the 60-80s, were great in that era, but dont think they would look so good today .??

The likes of besty stan bowles frank worthington rod marsh and dogleish would have made a impact im sure, main reason well just look how good they was on such sodden mud packed pitches but thats only my view.

Worthington (shankly said there were problems with him) and bowles whilst artistic didnt exactly make it large with major clubs back then (presumably there's a reason for that), Marsh was told point blank shortly after arriving at City....that he was too fat to contemplate even being considered for the first team (though his spin on it was along the lines of he could not believe he'd been a paid professional and could'nt get anywhere near the squad memebers on training days-he was also bought in Jan whilst we were top of the table and ultimately upset the balance of the team enough for us to blow the title and pour the blame on a five trophy team-for which Doyle right handed him to sleep in the dressing room). He pulled some nice moves for Fulham mind.

Best is a very subjective word, charlton whilst often waxing lyrical about Best being the most naturally gifted adds he thought big dunc the most complete and Stiles the most influential.

Not domestic but i've seen johan play sweeper, right fullback, three stations of mid, winger inside fwd and centre forward at Ajax multi Ec level and international euro championship level...dont mean it's best of course, just suggests given the level of performance it might take some topping.

Edited by oneredtrim

If those top players were born today they would still be top players as they would have had all the

Mod cons' diets'Physios'boots'training kits ect ect

What the modern game has

More to the point could the soft fooking pansies of today's game hack it back then when defenders were allowed to defend and tackles could be made ?

well thats true, they carnt even do a shoulder charge today :laugh: how would they handle big jack of leeds , he was a dirty twat, not like his brother bob :yes:

If those top players were born today they would still be top players as they would have had all the

Mod cons' diets'Physios'boots'training kits ect ect

What the modern game has

More to the point could the soft fooking pansies of today's game hack it back then when defenders were allowed to defend and tackles could be made ?

well thats true, they carnt even do a shoulder charge today :laugh: how would they handle big jack of leeds , he was a dirty twat, not like his brother bob :yes:

back in Revies day Leeds were known as dirty Leeds, all teams were physical(as has been said)no mention of Bremner? or Sir Norman HunterLOL they WERE effectively physical but all teams were.

The most memorable moment in my mind Leeds v Liverpool euro cup semi played mid week afternoon due to power restrictions on the flood lights, in the opening minutes Stevie Heighway(newly promoted to 1st team)gets the ball and Hunter tackled him hard,end off no foul,free kick or even a talking to. After that every time SH got the ball the fans shouted "he's behind you" and he just kicked the ball anywhere.

They did have skillful players as well, the Gray brothers,Terry Cooper, Paul Madeley and Lorimer Giles and Reaney

Y.I.S Leeview

Colin Bell up there with them ALL

Got chatting to an olde boy in coffee shop abroad a few yrs ago, he was tickled with me dialect, next news we're in his drum looking at his match worn football shirt collection (kin hell), me eyes were struggling when he shouted me over, he had Bells match worn from the game they played v independiente (sp?) whilst english champions. Bell had swapped it at the final whistle with an opponent and the opponent was the olde fella in the coffee shop (Sebastion Verons father), he had me at a bit of a disadvantage....3hrs later i walked out with it. Nice fella.

Had a lovely trait of not bothering to over celebrate a stupendous goal did bell, choosing to just lift his finger and acknowledge the crowd whilst seeking out whoever had supplied him and offering his hand, was there @ Maine rd when he made his long awaited comeback v Newcastle....the reception he got that night from both M/c and Geordie fans is folklore tackle, i was too young then and did'nt realise why so many people were visably upset, it was obvious to them even after galvanising City to an emphatic win (whilst the game was at dead lock) he was'nt going to be successfull....seemed odd hearing the geordies sing the 'Drink a Drink a Drink to Colin the King' song.

I think the exact opposite to you Bird i think Best and the likes would of shone in todays game even more than they did back then.......IF they dedicated themself and stayed away from their downfalls away from football........i dont think they would get away with the attitudes they had in todays game where 100% peak fitness is required week to week.....but for pure talent and ability i think they would be up their with your Bales and Ronaldos..................funny thing as Bobby Moore is a god like figure to me and always will be.....i passionately love the man :icon_redface: ......but i dont actually think he would of made it in todays game,despite his unbelievable reading of a game his lack of pace wouldnt of got him out of trouble......but players like Best,Charlton,Greaves,Brady i think with todays scientific approach to the game would of graced the world even moreso than the era they played.

Incidentally Bird i know a couple of Wolves lads as i stayed up that way for a short time many years ago.....Steve Bull to this day sits in the very same part of the ground him and his father used to go to when he was a kid...i went to a game as a home fan their a few years back and the bar suddenly went up as Bull had strolled in with a few pals apparently he sits in with all the regular fans every week and has a beer with them......nice to see an iconic player like that just mucking in like an every day fan.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

I think the exact opposite to you Bird i think Best and the likes would of shone in todays game even more than they did back then.......IF they dedicated themself and stayed away from their downfalls away from football........i dont think they would get away with the attitudes they had in todays game where 100% peak fitness is required week to week.....but for pure talent and ability i think they would be up their with your Bales and Ronaldos..................funny thing as Bobby Moore is a god like figure to me and always will be.....i passionately love the man :icon_redface: ......but i dont actually think he would of made it in todays game,despite his unbelievable reading of a game his lack of pace wouldnt of got him out of trouble......but players like Best,Charlton,Greaves,Brady i think with todays scientific approach to the game would of graced the world even moreso than the era they played.

Incidentally Bird i know a couple of Wolves lads as i stayed up that way for a short time many years ago.....Steve Bull to this day sits in the very same part of the ground him and his father used to go to when he was a kid...i went to a game as a home fan their a few years back and the bar suddenly went up as Bull had strolled in with a few pals apparently he sits in with all the regular fans every week and has a beer with them......nice to see an iconic player like that just mucking in like an every day fan.

yeh bully down to earth lad true, just thought gnash watching best that he did all his great things in a slower game of football, than it is today. But you prob right with speed+agilty on the ball, he be just as good with the faster game of today ,! well our kid swears he would lol

yeh bully down to earth lad true, just thought gnash watching best that he did all his great things in a slower game of football, than it is today. But you prob right with speed+agilty on the ball, he be just as good with the faster game of today ,! well our kid swears he would lol

Best was a little different to some of the aforementioned players in that he had two great attributes besides the one's he shown, he was a very good tackler and he had good strength by dint of his superb balance, seen him do his stood still inviting two opponents to pinch the ball off him many times, his version was very much different to some of the tricksters nowadays who out-move you with a trick and then move off...best did it by standing on the spot and staying putt (good core). Was he ever injured for any sustained period in his ten yrs in the limelight...in an age of getting clobbered. Benfica in '66 were the daddys, a very young best took them to pieces at thier place (was it 5-1 or 5-0 /matters not) Eusebio said at the time it was the finest performance he had ever witnessed.

Bowles (down on his luck nowadays)..holds the dubious distinction of playing for England on a wednesday and turning out for The Crossroads in the sunday league the following Sunday, always tried too hard to please his supposed mates down the pub did Stanley.

PS..what a lot folk forget about Best is he was an alkipop by nature, he would'nt have played the way he did completely dry,in fact according to a former team member and villanous associated minder...'he was shitting himself without it'. Besides Best arriving in a very good title winning team in 66-67..they never again won the title, perhaps something Charlton was nodding to when mentioning Stiles influence, being on the pitch in that infamous Benfica quarter and Englands WC win (team gelling aint exactl enamoured when folk dont turn up) and by '70 best was on the missing list and getting shown favouritism.

Edited by oneredtrim

The most memorable moment in my mind Leeds v Liverpool euro cup semi played mid week afternoon

Y.I.S Leeview

Fairs/Eufa surely?

YES it would of been the EUFA,Leeds went on to beat Juventus in the final.I went to Turin it was the wettest month on record and the match was abandoned halfwat through the 2nd half,replayed Friday 1-1 and beat them in the 2nd leg at Elland Road

Y.I.S Leeview