Gentlemen, I Have A Problem.

After a 52 year absence I have decided to have another go at Air Rifle target shooting. The problem is that I'm disabled with a dodgy spine caused by jumping out of aircraft for a living while in the Parachute Regiment. This has created a few cause and effect type issues. The prone position for shooting is out of the question. As is cocking a "Springer" type air rifle that has either a Break barrel or Underlever system. I just don't have the upper body strength any more. I could maybe cock such a weapon 3 or 4 times but that's not much cop if you plan on doing 30 - 50 shots over the course of an evening. Looking on the bright side, I was comfortable cocking a side action Feinwerkbau 600 and I think that I could probably handle such a rifle.

My other option is to get hold of a PCP type of air rifle, maybe an Air Arms S200 but the snag with that is that you're not just buying the rifle as with the Feinwerkbau, are you? What I mean is that you still need a scope, targets, pellets etc but with the PCP type of rifle, you also need to buy the diver's bottle and all the ancillaries that go with it. Forget the Stirrup pump affair for the same reason that the Springer rifles have mostly been kicked into touch.

As for buying the kind of rifle into which you screw a small air bottle (CO2?) like the one that your wife uses in her curling tongues, I have been told that these should be left for use in children's toys rather than serious competition shooting but I'm happy to stand corrected.

So, to put it bluntly, I need either a side action Springer or a PCP Air rifle. The snag is that I need to be able to start shooting without going over my £400 budget. I may be able to adjust that slightly if my wife goes over the £400 mark for her new watch. I will, of course, put tempting offers her way, lol

BTW, I have joined the Blackburn Rifle and Pistol Club so I can now at least have a go with the club rifles until I get one of my own. Please don't be backward in coming forward.

Cheers,

Steve.

I have no objection to going down the second hand route if the cost and condition are OK.

I'm a bit confused by a term used by Smithie ^^^ up there.

He said ..... "bottle+whip £150."

What's a Whip?

Also, the last link provided by Moxy showing clamp systems almost scared me to death. It all looks more complicated than my Jag's electric system. One reason why, if I go down the PCP route, I'm hoping to buy the full kit from the same person, either trade or private.

Many thanks for your info, guys,

Steve

Er, if you are strong enough to cock a sidelever with no problems why not simply rotate any underlever by 90 degrees in the appropriate direction and then try cocking it? Also if you are after a FWB600, have a look at these!

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=S090114+4458+&refno=+++74266&saletype=

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=S090114+4461+&refno=+++74273&saletype=

Collection must be made from Norfolk or delivery can be arranged to an RFD of your choice!

Edited by secretagentmole

BTW, the only second hand Air Arms S200 for £250 was a Mk1 and, I don't mean to be picky but it looks to be from about 1980-90. It could well be a perfectly good rifle but, in all honesty, I'd prefer something newer.

I think I'll stay away from rifle makers that are a bit out on the edge. They may be cheap but the don't have a proven track record. A bit like the Skoda Estelles and Lada Rivas from the early 80's. Maybe I'm being cruel but the name Hatsan springs to mind.

Treecreeper .... Thanks for that. Does it have a different name when a gauge is included?

Secretagentmole .... You'd think that, wouldn't you but it doesn't seem to work that way. Believe me when I say that choosing a rifle would be a lot less complicated if a Springer was an easy option. There are dozens of them for sale in local shops. But it just doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the cocking cycle with the Feinwerkbau side lever is just easier. I don't have a definitive answer.

Cheers,

Steve

think a pcp would be a better option for you mate as your not tireing yourself out by reloading think you might need another 100 n top of that and get a better set up also there not hold sensitive no recoil ye bit more money but alot better to shoot

Hi Steve, if I was you I'd be tempted to go down the PCP route. If you have a strict budget I would go down the secondhand market and look for one of the following rifles:

- AA S200

- AA S400 or 410

- BSA Ultra

If you keep your eye out and have a bit of patience you'll also be able to find a secondhand, in test, bottle. I used the 3L variety which I found more than adequate but many prefer the larger ones which are a bit more difficult to lug about.

I have family near Blackburn and often visit. I'd be happy to call in or meet up with you and show you my brother's AAS200 if you're thinking of one of these. Alternatively I'm sure you'll find a variety of rifles at the shooting club :thumbs:

All the best

Treecreeper .... Thanks for that. Does it have a different name when a gauge is included?

Secretagentmole .... You'd think that, wouldn't you but it doesn't seem to work that way. Believe me when I say that choosing a rifle would be a lot less complicated if a Springer was an easy option. There are dozens of them for sale in local shops. But it just doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the cocking cycle with the Feinwerkbau side lever is just easier. I don't have a definitive answer.

Cheers,

Steve

The FWB 600 is not a spring powered, it is a SSP - Single Stroke Pneumatic, I believe it is also a 6 ft lb target rifle, which is why you might find it a lot easier to cock!

Have you tried cocking any 6 ft lb target rifles other than the FWB600?

Edited by secretagentmole

Id go with Elliot's advice. If your in a club try as many rifles as you can and make a list of what suits you. then keep your eye out for a good second hand one. 400 quid will get a decent rifle and scope and bag easily. Nows a good time to buy as well if folk are a bit skint after Christmas.

mole I think hes talking about the bottle whip and gauge not a AA 200

Edited by treecreeper