Tail Docking

Hello im breeding my cocker to one of simon tyres stud dogs. would anybody consider buying one if the tail was not docked. i have sold 2 allready that are going to pet homes and feel a bit squeamish about the procedure. what do you guys think? would you work a spaniel with a full tail?

As you are in the planning stage ask your vet practice if they dock if so then get them done cos after the pups are a few days old it will be to late,Yes nowt wrong with a spaniel with a full tail work wise but you will run the risk of a damaged tail every time they are worked . you are stacking the odds against you for selling the pups to working homes as some won't have a worker in the kennel that has a full tail.O.M.O.mind good luck.

• Like 1

Hello im breeding my cocker to one of simon tyres stud dogs. would anybody consider buying one if the tail was not docked. i have sold 2 allready that are going to pet homes and feel a bit squeamish about the procedure. what do you guys think? would you work a spaniel with a full tail?

if you tell the vet the dogs are to go to pet homes good luck getting them docked. you will need proof that the dog you own is worked by either producing a shotgun cert or a written statement from a gamekeeper before any vet will consider the procedure,as for working a cocker with a tail :laugh::no::no:

the vet is happy to do them ive got the paper work and ive had others done but i just dont like the process. i know im being a wimp but it upsets me that the pups cry and the bitch gets distressed. but i suppose they dont remember it being done

WHY WOULD THE BITCH BE ABOUT WHEN THE PUPS ARE DOCKED had a few litters docked over the years some before the law said the vet had to do it and one litter when vet did it never heard a peep out of the pups always done up to three days old with the bitch out of the way.Is it the thought of the process or did you witness this reaction.

simplest solution add price of docking to the sale price of pups when i was docking terriers they would be done on day 3 half the litter would be done and returned to bitch hour later the other half this gave the bitch more time to clean up pups and caused less stress to the dam

price doesnt bother me cos its not expensive. it was just the fact the pups were all happy before docking and after they were making distressed squeks and the mum seemed upset that they were bloody. i did witness it they just cut there tails off with surgical scissors.

a pup will cry for a short while then settle down and feed its all over very quickly and soon forgotten a spaniel is forever wagging its tail the one i had was always smashing her tail against walls doors etc and when working would cut her tail to ribbons much better to have them docked first as last