Russell's Taking Seizures.

A friend of mine has a Russell and he was in a hard place a couple off weeks ago, the dog wasn't overly deep but hard going so he rang me for help. Everything ended well, until a day or so later and he rang me saying the Russell was taking fits/seizures every half hour and what to do? It got me thinking I've seen Russell's do that before. I mind one day whe ran a bank with a fellas Russell and the dog was static but being a sounder no noise no vibrations nothing, after a while the dog came out and shook itself. The place wasn't overly hot anyhow but we ran another terrier just to double check and when the terrier had said no and we went to go on to the next spot the Russell that was tied up was fitting out. So that's what we reckon had happened it in the burrow also. I wasn't friendly with the guy that owned it we just happened to be in the same company that day so I don't know more about it to comment on. Other than that I know off one another Russell we had when we were younger he was far from a world beater but he got us are hunts at times but he ended up on medication for the same thing. I asked a mate the other day about the scenario and he said he seen a Russell do the same years ago. So I thought I'd throw it out there, be interesting to know if any other lads have had or witnessed the same or may know something more about it. Thanks in advance ATB

• Like 1

Our Russell is 9 years old now 2 seasons ago on the last dig of our season he collapsed/seizure, then 4/5 weeks ago same happened but took him longer to come round than previously. Went to vets and he discovered he had a heart murmur, he is now retired from digging, maybe bread too close

• Like 1

I have a Russell bitch that started having fits about the end of last season, whent to see my vet who is a friend and into hunting,after trying two differant types of antibiotics she was still fitting about once a week , she is now on phenobarbitone 12 .5 mg, half a tab once a day she's been on these for about 6 ish months and only had one fit in that time I was told that she will need to be spayed after her next time in season and that will prob stop the fits , I was told the probable cause was head trauma as she's only small an thinks she's a lion, I still use her now but only in places I know and that are not to deep, I also have her sister an she is a bit bigger and has a bigger head an has never had a fit so I think the vet was prob right on the cause.

• Like 1

I have a Russell bitch that started having fits about the end of last season, whent to see my vet who is a friend and into hunting,after trying two differant types of antibiotics she was still fitting about once a week , she is now on phenobarbitone 12 .5 mg, half a tab once a day she's been on these for about 6 ish months and only had one fit in that time I was told that she will need to be spayed after her next time in season and that will prob stop the fits , I was told the probable cause was head trauma as she's only small an thinks she's a lion, I still use her now but only in places I know and that are not to deep, I also have her sister an she is a bit bigger and has a bigger head an has never had a fit so I think the vet was prob right on the cause.

I doubt if spaying will work matey. It hasn't in the cases I know of.

• Like 2

its common in a lot of breeds, look up

exercise-induced seizures

heres one case

A 12-month-old female neutered crossbreed was referred for investigation of seizure-like episodes occurring only at intense exercise. Thorough medical, neurological and cardiac investigations were performed and excluded the most commonly known causes of seizure-like activity. The dog was fitted with an ambulatory electrocardiography device and underwent another exercise-induced seizure. The electrocardiogram during the episode revealed a sinus tachycardia at approximately 300 beats/minute. A video recording of the episode revealed generalised tonic clonic limb activity with jaw chomping and frothing at the mouth typical of seizure activity. Antiepileptic medications were not prescribed and the owner was advised not to exercise the dog intensely. The dog responded well and did not seizure after 12 months of mild-moderate off-lead exercise. As all the seizures in this case were triggered by intense physical activity, it is suggested that this may be a new form of reflex seizure activity.

Sinus tachycardia (also colloquially known as sinus tach or sinus tachy) is a heart rhythm with elevated rate of impulses originating from the sinoatrial node, ...

ive seen it with a lakie and a russell. the lakie would get all exited in its pen. jumping up and down on its back legs tale wagging like mad then down it went. she was put down .

the russell was an odd one and it wasnt brought on with exitement it could fit in its sleep. was never up nor down after. lived to a good age in a pet home. years ago we had a german shepherd that took to fitting turned out she had a tumour.

I had a springer bitch that took siezures almost every time she was taken out shooting so after about 5-6 outings i decided not to bring her anymore as i also had another + a labrador.I had noticed while puting her through basic training that she would act like she was fiting but passed no heed.When she was left at home she was grand,not a thing wrong with her so after about 2 months i took her down the back fields and tossed a couple of dummys for her to retrieve,she was fine on the 1st few but the more excited she got she then went into a seizure again so she is now with an old lady as a pet.

Some good replies lads. Over exercising wasn't the issue that brought this to my attention, though the dog had a hard dig over him a few days prior! The other Russell's I seen it happen to were in no way related and they fitted out randomly without being over exerted, one in particular had the run of the yard and at times was aloud into the home and fitted randomly even while on medication for it. That dog lived to 16 year old but was riddled with cancer in his last days and the decision was made to end his suffering. I'm in no way saying its a problem with only Russell's it's just I have only seen them do it. I had a black bitch a few years back she collapsed unconscious after a hard dig one day on the way back to the van in the farmers yard. Lucky enough I got her round and when she did I ran to the back of the farmers house and turned the tap on to get her a drink of water while I held her in my arms, his wife was making dinner at the time, seeing me alone at the window never mind the bitch which was in a bad way id say was a big surprise to her lol. that's different though.