• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If feeding meat use a lower protein complete, I use around 20 to 24% A lot depends on what the dog is doing, ie a few long runs or multiple sprints over a night etc and it is something that would

Feck C Joe stop stressing lol, you don’t add the two but average them, so mixing 28% with 20% gives half way between ie 24%. Give me a call and I’ll go through it in more detail if you want.   In t

That makes no sence,, fat is fat,, and protein is protein

too much protein dog can get itchy spots they scratching all time blood out of order if you are feeding meat veg you only need 10 protein which is brown bread or redmills big bread plus extra fat table spoon of lard that's it that simple

Feck C Joe stop stressing lol, you don’t add the two but average them, so mixing 28% with 20% gives half way between ie 24%. Give me a call and I’ll go through it in more detail if you want.

In truth it’s all getting unnecessarily complicated….. as a general the more meat you feed the less protein you need in the mixer so forget percentage of protein etc and concentrate on the volume then its easier to get the protein in complete sorted…

If feeding beef mince as 75 % of the total volume in the bowl then a plain dog biscuit, pasta, oats etc would be fine to make up the remaining 20% of the meal along with 5% veg.

The beef will supply all the protein and fat required, the biscuit/veg doesn’t need to have much fat or protein as that’s supplied by the beef, rather it will top up carb based energy stores and supply fibre, vitamins and minerals.

If feeding only 10% beef, as part of the total amount, then you need to feed a mixer with plenty of protein as such a small amount of meat will not supply all the protein and fat required. For the 90% remaining a complete of 28% would be better as you are using it as an alternative to meat rather than as an addition. The complete then supplies the protein and fat as well as the carbs and fibre.

I fall between these two so feed around 24% complete as half the meal with a little cooked veg and the remaining 45% as meat.

I recommend getting out till both man and dog are tired then we’re all be to knackered to worry.

• Like 5

Excess protein fed is pushed out the back end, sometimes in the form of scours .Basically its 25 % or there abouts for moderate work increased when the workload increases to 30% no more and 18-20% in the summer for maintenance.Balance the diet to suit the needs

Excess protein fed is pushed out the back end, sometimes in the form of scours .Basically its 25 % or there abouts for moderate work increased when the workload increases to 30% no more and 18-20% in the summer for maintenance.Balance the diet to suit the needs

So what in your opinion would be the result of feeding 10% protein?

Edited to add - whilst working hard.

• 2 weeks later...

A slower rate of muscle repair and infected injuries

A slower rate of muscle repair and infected injuries

:thumbs:

null_zps22d57829.jpg

I get mixed up with percentages, but ive fed 20% Gain with 1lb raw on a 22 inch 10 month 3/4 Whippet X 1/4 Bedlington.

He has never had diarrhoea, stools are mainly hard.

I will now notice if there is any difference.

I like to give dogs a change, so today I bought a bag of CSJ dog foods That'll Do/hi Lost.

21% protein

if interested will let you know how he does on CSJ. not saying I will never return to Gain.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...