I have been beating on a couple of shoots this season, but we've been quite fortunate the weather has been relatively dry. I am beating tomorrow, and I reckon the underfoot conditions will be worse than usual due to the rain. I haven't encountered any freshly ploughed land so far, but there's time yet. I enjoy beating as it helps to keep me fit, but I agree that poor underfoot conditions don't help! A couple of weeks ago I decided to wear boots and gaiters instead of my usual wellies, and I came to grief in a horse field in mud up to my knees! :icon_redface:

Monday, two beaters arse over elbow in quick succession followed on the next drive by a gun, well funny, only just managed to suppress the laughter. Pushed two drives into one the other day, down a steep ploughed slope up the other side then down again and then up through steep woodland, thought we were going to lose a few, the pacemakers must have been in overdrive!!

Monday, two beaters arse over elbow in quick succession followed on the next drive by a gun, well funny, only just managed to suppress the laughter. Pushed two drives into one the other day, down a steep ploughed slope up the other side then down again and then up through steep woodland, thought we were going to lose a few, the pacemakers must have been in overdrive!!

Beater or gun I'm not going to stop myself from laughing when a gun falls over it's one of the best sights in the world. Best one was on a snipe bog and someone went up to their chest in a drainage ditch :laugh: