Owners Standards

as i was just reading a post about people changing there dogs and saying it could be down to the owners high standards why they go through so many dogs! i would like people be honest on what pecentage of catch rate they are willing to accept before thinking of replacing it or taking a risk at a new pup??? for example how many men happy with a 50% ratio?? me personally needs to be at least 60% catch rate overall! before i slip him i always think its 90% he'll catch lol and im trying to stop saying thats dead when its not :thumbs: for the pre ban coursing lads i would say 75% is a class animal with all the 3's and 4's i here about surely the best match dogs must be at least this?? :thumbs:

Edited by TROY_BOY

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are so many people obsessing about catch rates? Sure, dogs need to catch, but unless you are coursing competitively or trying seriously trying to reduce rabbit numbers, isn't it more about the enj

I find my standards have got lot lower as I've got older, I'm more into my mooching these days and prefer a nice mooch where the dogs have a good hunt and hopefully a catch or two.   The internet is

Depends what your running, where your running it and how hungry you are. And not everybody works a dog off a slip. Some circumstances dictate it, but given the opportunity, I'd rather watch a dog wo

Depends what your running, where your running it and how hungry you are.

And not everybody works a dog off a slip. Some circumstances dictate it, but given the opportunity, I'd rather watch a dog work up its quarry

no matter what your running and where surely you think your dogs capable or you wouuldnt be running him there in the first place! i wouldnt release my dog on something i felt he had no chance of catching

Dont slip my dog it works for its chase and if it gets away its there for another day and if it deserves to get away all the better

so when it hunts something up what percent then
dont know dont think of it that way can be high or low everydays different

maybe you just dont want too think of it that way lol only joking ha :thumbs:

And not everybody works a dog off a slip. Some circumstances dictate it, but given the opportunity, I'd rather watch a dog work up its quarry

no matter what your running and where surely you think your dogs capable or you wouuldnt be running him there in the first place! i wouldnt release my dog on something i felt he had no chance of catching

If I'm working the dog off a slip then yes I will pick and choose the runs in the dogs favour. That's the main advantage of a slip. Otherwise I couldn't give two hoots. It's rough old ground around here, with no crops, mostly moorland, rough pasture, scrub and forestry, if you know of a dog that working up game on that ground does more than 35%, I will buy your Christmas dinner.

• Like 6

If I'm working the dog off a slip then yes I will pick and choose the runs in the dogs favour. That's the main advantage of a slip. Otherwise I couldn't give two hoots. It's rough old ground around here, with no crops, mostly moorland, rough pasture, scrub and forestry, if you know of a dog that working up game on that ground does more than 35%, I will buy your Christmas dinner.

so you accept under 35% catchrate for your dog on this land after the dog hunts it up land must be seriously in quarrys favour :thumbs:

Edited by TROY_BOY

so you accept under 35% catchrate for your dog on this land after the dog hunts it up land must be seriously in quarrys favour :thumbs:

Hunted up, daytime single dog, on mixed game, 35% is good going! I'm just happy seeing my dogs get some graft. Numbers don't matter unless it a pesting job. Plus as every one knows, my dogs are shi#e

• Like 1

Hunted up, daytime single dog, on mixed game, 35% is good going! I'm just happy seeing my dogs get some graft. Numbers don't matter unless it a pesting job. Plus as every one knows, my dogs are shi#e

its an honest post mate cheers for reply :thumbs:

• Like 1

I'm happy with 50% catch, but some nights he might get 5 out of 5 and others he may

Get none but it's not always his fault I may slip him on a crap slips we av alot of small field around us so it easy for them to get away as long as he looks keen and try's his best I'm happy.

• Like 2