Choosing A Sire

I have a working cocker bitch and beat with her on some local shoots.Some of the other beaters have said to me that they would like a pup from her.She has a 5 gen pedigree with over 40 ftch in it and I am down to two dogs to mate her with,one is a ftch that has been used by the breeder of my bitch over some of his other bitches,the other is a dog off one of the beats who is very good in the beating line and finds well when picking up,he impressed me from the first time I saw him working.Some have told me to put her to the ftch and others have said the other dog.I am just after some advice off experienced breeders and beaters on what they would do.Cheers

• Like 1

Getting rid of pups is hard work and sometimes heartbreaking, I wouldn't bother unless you want a pup yourself, don't rely on what other people say get a deposit from these people who would like a pup from her before you mate her. See who is bull shitting

• Like 1

If the pups don't go to your beating friends you will find it easier to sell them if the sire us the ftch. Which ftch is it ?

lockslane Archibald is the ftch.The keeper said the pups would go easier if I put the ftch over her.Two of the lads who want a pup from her are close friends.She is a small bitch and some on the shoot have said she won't carry many pups,I would'nt know,I have bred litters of terriers before and have always gone for the best dog I have saw working to ground over a bitch not sure with working cockers though

If the pups don't go to your beating friends you will find it easier to sell them if the sire us the ftch. Which ftch is it ?

lockslane Archibald is the ftch.The keeper said the pups would go easier if I put the ftch over her.Two of the lads who want a pup from her are close friends.She is a small bitch and some on the shoot have said she won't carry many pups,I would'nt know,I have bred litters of terriers before and have always gone for the best dog I have saw working to ground over a bitch not sure with working cockers though

Just as an aside mate, the fact that your bitch is small in no way means she'll have only a few pups.

Just as an aside mate, the fact that your bitch is small in no way means she'll have only a few pups.
thought that myself mate

I was already leaning toward the dog from our shoot.With me not having lots of experience of working cockers i asked some on the shoot for their opinion and it is why I have asked on here.The dog from our shoot is sired by Chyknell Goldstar and has a very good pedigree his owner told me,he is a classy dog and a prolific shagger as well so I think he will be the one i use.Cheers for the advice

unfortunately the popularity of cockers at the moment is to be the breeds ruination, My advice to the OP would be, be honest with yourself as to why you NEED to breed the litter, be honest with your self as to the bitches and sires faults (and I guarantee their will be faults with both dogs as non are perfect) and ask yourself just how is your breeding going to better or advance the breed, finally do not be blinded by the title ftch all it means is that the dog has been trained to win awards it is no reflection on the dogs conformation,temperament or ability as a producer of quality pups

• Like 2

unfortunately the popularity of cockers at the moment is to be the breeds ruination, My advice to the OP would be, be honest with yourself as to why you NEED to breed the litter, be honest with your self as to the bitches and sires faults (and I guarantee their will be faults with both dogs as non are perfect) and ask yourself just how is your breeding going to better or advance the breed, finally do not be blinded by the title ftch all it means is that the dog has been trained to win awards it is no reflection on the dogs conformation,temperament or ability as a producer of quality pups

well said :thumbs: