any one ever eaten fox???

Once I skinned a fox and tried it to the dog :no::no: so decided no go. Previously offered it some chinese takeaway left overs and that was a :no::no: next day did I feel bad :laugh: :laugh: obviously he knew something I didn't.

Poor things dead now but kept his nose to the end. Found hedgehogs in the dark no problem despite poor eyesight and he was deaf .

I've eaten squirrel and that was spot on :yes:

Once had rabbit that must have lived entirely on wild garlic, I like garlic but that was disgusting.

I was just wondering if any one on here has have eaten fox, if so what was it like and is there any thing you wouldnt eat for love nor money ??

I've eaten fox back in the early eightys but dont remember it tasting any good but I remember the dogs turning their noses up at it but I have read a book that mentioned a recipe for badger ham but cant remember what book :hmm:

I was just wondering if any one on here has have eaten fox, if so what was it like and is there any thing you wouldnt eat for love nor money ??

A friend of mine cubed up a haunch of Charlie and put it into the freezer to use later as ferret food. His mother casseroled it a few days later thinking it was stewing beef. The family ate it without complaint. It was only when my mate came to defrost his ferret food that the error was discovered. :sick:

• 4 weeks later...

the french eat fox cant say i fancy it mined but i do know a chinese in bristol that will take them so a lot of friday -saturday night revelers probly tried it but dont know it , we used to have badger hams as kids just like pork goes down well with a drop of cider

heres a couple of recipes for badger ham:

dry cure rub for badger gammons:

2lb salt,

6 cloves,*

12 bay leaves,*

8 table spoons juniper berries,*

8 table spoons thyme,*

1 table spoon black pepper corns,*

2 table spoons dark brown sugar,

* grind to a course look.

then mix all together,this cure can benifit from leaving for a couple of days for the salt to drawout the juniper ,but i have used it streight away.this amount of rub should do up to 6 loins,or more!

wet brine per gallon.

1 gallon water,

1 cup salt,

12 bay leaves,

1 table spoon whole black pepercorns,

4 table spoons juniper berries,

1 can stout,or any other ale or cider.

this is a ritch brine but lovely for hams.you can reduce the salt down to 1/2 cup per gallon if desired.leave 3 weeks

my husband has tried bear stew at a camp cookout a few years back. said it was like trying to eat the most gristly/fatty pieces of beef... with spots of meat no thicker or longer than your finger.. and he didnt have anything nice to say about the meat itself. makes sense considering how much fat a bar must put on for winter..

squirrel is good.. like dark meat chicken but a little tougher. i dont like wasting meat so i skin the whole thing and quarter it. there's plenty of meat on the arms, back, and ribs, why waste it? only problem i have with squirrel is those bones are hard as nails, dont want to accidentally bite down on one... could break a tooth!!

i suppose if i was hard pressed for money i would eat almost anything that wouldnt eat me first.. put enough gravy or sauce and seasoning on something and you can disguise the flavour :D

some people around here eat possums and raccoon. you get mixed opinions though. one man says the best way to eat possom is to trap it live and feed it on corn for a month or two... another man hates raccoon meat because its "greasy" but my dad and grandad both loved it bar b q'd..

Edited by BlueCoyote