Shortest Possible Pole Legnth

GreyRake

I've got two 18 foot long gate/long nets. Fancied a couple small nets for mooching when I don't have the 100 yard with me. Currently cut a couple of wooden poles to 70cm (they are a bit thick but will do for now) But it would be great if I could cut them shorter so I could fit them into my bag. What do you guys think is the shortest I could cut them?

Guest scramble

Depends on the ground your working. Rabbits will run higher on longer grass etc. also what soil type. i set my nets around 20-22" if you have a heavy headline then you'll need a slightly longer pole too. :yes:

Guest scramble

i have 6 inch in the ground and net set at 18 inch.. i cut at 24/25 inch or there abouts. nothing is exact and as scramble said the ground does matter as sometimes a peg needs to go deeper to be sturdy.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys! Ive always got the 100 yarder mostly on long fiberglass poles for the jobs that need it. Was just to make a handy wee backpack gate net. But ive left the poles at 70cm for now.

Whats the best way to fold/roll a gate net up? Without a quickset basket. I could maybe fashion a small bag for it if thats the main method. (Its 18 foot long, on three poles)

i'd rather have a longer pole then you can set your net at what height you want

Same here setting it on different ground can you have a minimum pole length i dont reckon so unless you still have a couple longer poles with you

call it what you want, but if i use it on gate only then its my gate net...

For my tuppence worth there different a gate nets for drapping over the rungs of a gate to catch whatever running under the gate in the wheel ruts or whatever and doesn't need poles .

A short nets set on a gap and on poles ??