More Pup Troubles! Fighing Like The Mean It!

With all due respect you need to get a handle on them now. They are pups man.... their teeth aren't even all the way in!

This is an easy fix with pups of any type.....You need to get their attention and be consistent. You can have them where they won't even look at each other inside of a week.

and sugestions on how i do that? i have a firm hand with terriers but, remember their only pups
Pups that are trying/going to kill each other. If it were mine the first one to start would get the lead wrapped round it's arse and a bloody good rollicking. If it ignores you tell it harder ;)

i make hunting whips and kennel crops for a bit of cash on the side........they have been told pretty hard gnipper ..but their only pups still, ime just going to have to be on them like shit to a blanket! and give them a bit more time

With all due respect you need to get a handle on them now. They are pups man.... their teeth aren't even all the way in!

This is an easy fix with pups of any type.....You need to get their attention and be consistent. You can have them where they won't even look at each other inside of a week.

Jawn I'm not the only person who has experienced this but once 2 terriers develop a hatred for each other its nigh impossible to break other than keep separated or get rid.

Once the 'feud' has started.....usually means someone has to go.....

• Like 1

Jawn I'm not the only person who has experienced this but once 2 terriers develop a hatred for each other its nigh impossible to break other than keep separated or get rid.

Once the 'feud' has started.....usually means someone has to go.....

i fear thats the general rule with tykes...they hold a grudge as well as a traveler family do :laugh:

Edited by perthshire keeper

I kept a bitch for years that was a 'nightmare for a grudge' on other bitches, invariably they had to go cos she was simply better in all cases......she killed a good bitch, & drew another, one day, so she could get to 'her' fox.....(on a walk).....if she hadn't of been so good, she would of had to go.....tough decisions

• Like 1

:laugh: You got yourself some propper Lakies there PK....

Lakies can be the worst of puppy's (worst of adults too!), they can have an inbred desire to 'go off' at the slightest thing and even at such a young age seem to want to see it right through...!

Thing is though, they can be gassy feckers, quick to take offense with another dog, especially a 'familiar' but can turn out to be all piss an vinegar with real quarry...!

My advice, first off, take on one Lakie pup at a time, next time!

And, set your stall out now, you need to channel all that aggression into the hunt, not the kill but the hunt.... Make 'em graft for their supper, exercise frequent and hard, work hard for their catch each and every time out and, more important, NO AGGRESSION in the kennel, not even in play, that pic with one pup hanging on to sommat at home, all your doin is encouraging a behavior that will go wrong at home. Be firm but not hard (yep, they are pups), do not tolerate ANY aggression at home and never give 'em an inch or take your eyes off 'em together till you know they can be trusted to work and exercise together.

Best of luck... :victory:

:laugh: You got yourself some propper Lakies there PK....

Lakies can be the worst of puppy's (worst of adults too!), they can have an inbred desire to 'go off' at the slightest thing and even at such a young age seem to want to see it right through...!

Thing is though, they can be gassy feckers, quick to take offense with another dog, especially a 'familiar' but can turn out to be all piss an vinegar with real quarry...!

My advice, first off, take on one Lakie pup at a time, next time!

And, set your stall out now, you need to channel all that aggression into the hunt, not the kill but the hunt.... Make 'em graft for their supper, exercise frequent and hard, work hard for their catch each and every time out and, more important, NO AGGRESSION in the kennel, not even in play, that pic with one pup hanging on to sommat at home, all your doin is encouraging a behavior that will go wrong at home. Be firm but not hard (yep, they are pups), do not tolerate ANY aggression at home and never give 'em an inch or take your eyes off 'em together till you know they can be trusted to work and exercise together.

Best of luck... :victory:

now thats IS helpful,cheers food for thought their :yes:

• Like 1

The aggression you're seeing between the pups is prey drive with nowhere to go. Personally, I'd separate them, don't kennel together, and definitely take out that bit of fur/carcase that's hanging there, even if the pups aren't together. Brilliant advice from Bosun :thumbs:

Regarding exercise: I had two 'softer' :tongue2: Russell types pull me on my bike for over a mile at the age of 5 months :icon_eek: down a farm track: I didn't intentionally set out to do this, just to exercise them, but the little sods pulled me at a gallop the whole way, and they didn't even know they'd done it. Terriers are bred to be as hard as nails and tough as old boots. Don't treat them like soft pets, don't abuse them, but let them know who is boss, and that they have to behave in a way that is acceptable to you, which means not even growling at another dog, ever. It's your attitude that will tell them how to behave as much as what you say and do.

So if one pup growls, or even stares wrong, at other pup, sharp check on the lead, accompanied by you saying 'AH!' or 'NO!' in a harsh and warning voice. Don't walk them on couples: too hard to separate if they do start up, keep one on each side of you, better still if you can exercise separately, so they aren't in an excitable state in the same place at the same time.

If you have enough space and enough work for both,kennell separate and work separate,problem sorted,kept plenty down the years that didn't see eye to eye,

yep i thought it was part n parcel of keeping digging dogs,a well bred prospect or decent digging dog that doesnt get on with others wouldnt be leaving my place,

You'd have to have some time on your hands to exercise a kennel full of dogs that didn't get on. I kept mine for a good while til enough was enough. Few years down the line I wished I'd kept the russell instead of the b*****d but the b*****d looked like he was shaping into the better dog, he was that for a few seasons anyway til he was pts. The Russell served my mate well til he died aged 9

i have had this problem once,and 2 be honest mate,the only method that worked,was 2 kennel them away from each other,and wrk a routine around them,going by my experience mine would be not one bit dog agresive 2 wards any other dog but with each other ,they had pure hatred i hope am wrong but i dont think you will stop them wanting 2 get 2 grips with each other ,i even tryed muzziling them as last resort and let them go 2 it,thinking they would burn them selves out not a chance,they wernt going 2 respect each other 4 nothink, i would just keep them seperated saves a lot of unnesasery grief ATB TONY

• Like 1

right gents, as a lot of you will remember i got 2 lakelands that ime as proud as punch about! untill about 3 weeks back they had lived together very well (other than when i stupidly pup a 3rd pup in with them for company...you remember that thread right?!!) the dog is catching rats and handleing them bloody well he has had a half a dozen mink from down the river and their only just over 6 month. the bitch is much lighter built and is a bit behind in comeing along but still killing rats well, i recon she will be ok with time.

now the trouble is, 3 weeks back they had a fight, and i dont mean a growling screaming teeth clattering bickering fight to sort something out....i mean a silent,griped onto each others face blood every where and would not let go fight! i had to dunk them in the water butt to get them apart, and now when i let them out they are ok for the best part of ohh 10 seconds then,,thats in they mean buisness.

on walks they are fine running about doing their own stuff then for no reason the will stop...face each other off then get stuck in.. now if any of my dogs have a wee squabble i normaly let them get on with it as they normaly sort it out them selfs....what ever problem they have a wee bicker and one bosses the other and every one is happy. but this aint "bickering" fighting this is real i want to kill you fighting! if they were not getting lots of walks and a bit of work than i would have thought they were frustrated and that wee fire in them was burning bright but with no outlet.

now its worth mentioning they are getting their teeth thru, do you recon this has some thing to do with it? as it tyes in with dropping they baby teeth? i have been toying with the idear of keeping a bloody good eye on them and letting them get on with it hopeing a "top dog" will come out and that will be that or is that wishful thinking?

its a damm shame to have to split them up and means i cant walk them together (or all my mutts at once) i have to take them in 2 lots so they dont get as long out or as far sooooo any sugestions? or is it what it is and they just dont like each other?

eskdaleshowanddogs010.jpg

eskdaleshowanddogs009.jpg

rabbitskin002.jpg

rabbitskin001.jpg

You SHOULD keep walking them together.....They have to screw up so that they can learn NOT to. There's been some sound advice given here. They will learn not to fight with each other or any dog for that matter if you insist on it. They are only pups....Grown dogs can be cured of this more often than not, keep after them they will do you proud.

You'd have to have some time on your hands to exercise a kennel full of dogs that didn't get on. I kept mine for a good while til enough was enough. Few years down the line I wished I'd kept the russell instead of the b*****d but the b*****d looked like he was shaping into the better dog, he was that for a few seasons anyway til he was pts. The Russell served my mate well til he died aged 9

ime quite lucky that i have been and am now again self employed and i can take them to work with me so they all get their fair share of walking it was just easyer walking 4 together that 2 at a time, i plan on keeping them both as like i say i have high hopes for them and have put a lot of work into them, as well as paying a LOT for them and waiting years for them.

• Like 1