Foxing With A Normal Shotgun Load?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It boils down to what your intentions are. If you're specifically out on a fox control day then I'd pack bb's and leave other quarry alone. If you're rough shooting with the chance of a fox maybe keep

Early in the year there will be a fair few foxes flushed on a partridge drives and no doubt shot at with #7s. And no doubt as many wounded as killed.   Just don't unless you've practically tripped o

At last someone with a constructive comment!   If the fox walks passed you he will fall down easy with 7's.   If you are looking at foxes out to normal 12g distances, you certainly need a heavier

Slightly off topic but can anyone advise the best method and what to get / use for cleaning a 12bore? I got mine but havent had time to fire it yet, partially as i'd like to know how and what to use to clean it etc.

I think most folks, as I do, will just use a rod with brass brush and cotton mop. Plenty of gun oils on the market, I don't particularly care which and a tin will last years! You can buy aerosol sprays that look pretty good mind. I also now have a wood oil but never used to bother.

Just break the gun up, wipe all the shit away with kitchen towel, then wipe anything metal with lightly oiled rag, rod the barrels and reassemble.

Have I missunderstood you?

Edited by Born Hunter

Have you got foxes stated on your ticket?

I take it that was a joke....

BTW you can in theory shoot anything with anything given a close enough range (big game / hogs excepted). However, its also a matter of responsibility. Shooting foxes with anything smaller than 3's not only risks injuring the animal and causing suffering but also potentially landing you in jail or court as a result. Remember there might not be a minimum specified size but its still an offence to cause unnecessary suffering and if you shoot and wound an animal, even if you subsequently kill it, and for some reason the police or RSPCA become involved (there are lots of people out there who if they see an animal run off injured even for a short distance before dying will report cruelty), then you're going to find it near impossible to defend an animal cruelty charge if you used shot below what the experts advise as the usual size for foxing. With deer with the recommended calibre and a careful shot and given they often run even when technically dead, no problem. With a shotgun, the circumstances will be more closely examined including shot size and distance involved.

My advice is stick to the usual range 3 - AA and if possible use the midrange sizes of 1's or BB's, and even if out rough shooting, keep a couple of fox sized rounds in a separate pocket.

EDIT: Cross posted re ticket with Sporting Shooter.

Edited by Alsone

ok

Have you got foxes stated on your ticket?

I take it that was a joke....

BTW you can in theory shoot anything with anything given a close enough range (big game / hogs excepted). However, its also a matter of responsibility. Shooting foxes with anything smaller than 3's not only risks injuring the animal and causing suffering but also potentially landing you in jail or court as a result. Remember there might not be a minimum specified size but its still an offence to cause unnecessary suffering and if you shoot and wound an animal, even if you subsequently kill it, and for some reason the police or RSPCA become involved (there are lots of people out there who if they see an animal run off injured even for a short distance before dying will report cruelty), then you're going to find it near impossible to defend an animal cruelty charge if you used shot below what the experts advise as the usual size for foxing. With deer with the recommended calibre and a careful shot and given they often run even when technically dead, no problem. With a shotgun, the circumstances will be more closely examined including shot size and distance involved.

My advice is stick to the usual range 3 - AA and if possible use the midrange sizes of 1's or BB's, and even if out rough shooting, keep a couple of fox sized rounds in a separate pocket.

EDIT: Cross posted re ticket with Sporting Shooter.

I only have FAC shotgun ticket and as such it has conditions...i didn't know that normal sgl does not have any such conditions..

mine are thus..

The 12-bore shotgun shall be used for shooting birds in accordance with the purpose, terms and conditions of the general licence currently issued by natural england under the provisions of the wildlife and countryside act 1981 the 12 bore shotgun may also be used for clay pigeon shooting

also has conditions as per FAC rifles...vermin ground game and other lawful quarry...

yet only the 223 has foxes as condition..

so i don't know what it reads on a SGL...

but if i were to shoot at foxes with shotgun magnums with aaa

Edited by compoundarcher