Dome Heads Vs Hollow Points

I know hollow points are supposed to expand, but with a 11ft-lb air rifle is it going to make any difference compared to dome heads? I'm assuming dome heads are going to be a little more accurate too as the hollowing can't be as aerodynamic.

What would your preference be with a 11ft-lb rifle on Pigeons, Corvids and Rabbits at a distance up to 35 yards.

Also is there any time when wadcutters are preferable?

I know this topic has been covered a lot of times, but I'm, just wondering if the quarry and power makes any difference.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use a .22 and still go for headshots, I dont want entry wounds in the meat I am eating thanks!

I did try hollow tips but found dome heads to be better for how i shoot and i seem to be more accurate with dome heads.

at 35 yards if your gun spits the hollows out accurately enough then for me use any pellet wont really matter. 11 ft lb at 35 yards ANY pellet put into a pigeons brain WILL instantly kill it.

I think with pellets there is no real benefit damage wise to a hollowpoint, I might be wrong.

bullets is probably a different story, and a total different kettle of fish, that I know nothing about lol

as for ME, I use the most ACCURATE pellet I can get into my rifles. for the record I shot a pigeon in the brain at 35 yards, and a crow in the brain at 40 yard using a rifle that was producing 8.8 ftlbs at the muzzle, with rws superdomes in .177, and they both dropped dead instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwaM4bbPRP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFru2y8jq0

heres the videos if you don't believe me.

hope this helps mate. SKoT :victory:

Hollow points are just as accurate at shorter ranges but lose stability quicker, so beyond about 20yards not much good for hunting. Hence why ratting guys seem to like them, good stopping power over short range. Dome heads carry more than enough energy and impact to do the job to much longer ranges where they are able to also maintain their accuracy.

Although there's still a shop near me that insists hollow points only for hunting, and dome heads are for target shooting. But they also don't stock any rifles in .177 as they can't sell them! In the managers words (and I quote "all the lads round here want to do is blast the heads off rats so they only buy .22s)! I don't buy anything from them anymore.

Jim

Hollow points are just as accurate at shorter ranges but lose stability quicker, so beyond about 20yards not much good for hunting. Hence why ratting guys seem to like them, good stopping power over short range. Dome heads carry more than enough energy and impact to do the job to much longer ranges where they are able to also maintain their accuracy.

Although there's still a shop near me that insists hollow points only for hunting, and dome heads are for target shooting. But they also don't stock any rifles in .177 as they can't sell them! In the managers words (and I quote "all the lads round here want to do is blast the heads off rats so they only buy .22s)! I don't buy anything from them anymore.

Jim

Too stubborn and set in their own ways...

my mates like that.

we have lots of heated debates and I always end up proving him right but he swears hes right...

my old 97 wouldn't group super h points under 1 inch at 25 yards !!... but Field target trophy were as close to pellet-on-pellet that im ever going to get out to 40 yards!!! :hmm::yes:

Edited by Skot Ruthless Teale

years back i was an avid semi wad cutter..nothing else! then i was talked into silouttes, which peed all over the was cutters so theni was a silouette only shooter....then the revolasion occured, i couldnt het any and eventualy bought some round nose pellets with a real sink in my heart..

ermmm some 15 years later i re tried the wadcutter..ffffleghh binned um, then the silouettes..yeh good killing/stopping but fleghhhhh you got to try to see..oh tried the super hollow points to at 5-10 yards, lovely loud slap followed by a runner so.....more bin fodder.

AA feilds

crossman accupells

bisley long range golds

daystate and jsb heavies...thay all have a similar airo shape and all kill well whilste remainingaccurate, the accuracy thing seems to re apear year in year out.. it seems that if you cant hit it it doesnt mater if its a big f**k off nuke yu still missed so its of no use.

now if you need to drop down range power fast? now we're going flat head and wadcutter types. but the accuracy limits their practacle range more than the power drop at the other end.

edit...and havent a few people done exspansion tests both on gels n soaps as well as live target pellet retreaval, and that 'exspansion' is more of a slight dint or buckled skirt, it may be that its being confused with fac power levals and actual 'spanks' spreading out and vapourising and the likes. (as is the sonic shock wave issue...its a seperate issue, where the actual sonic wave is the distructive energy, not so much the actual lead passing though, doent occur at narmal legal power levals).

your after soft pellets primarily for exspansion...then flat heading them etc but if theyre too soft they flaish wound more than anything untill the powers just right which means a further range limiting. (and very few and far between with legal limits).

oops forgo to mension, if you actualy start getting that 'exspansion' thing on the go, you wont necisarily want to be eating anything that you cant find all the pellet in..you'll injest the metal, if those pellets are partialy disapearing or proper vapourising into the target..your body will obsorb those metal particles much more readily from animal meat.

Edited by ghillies

I started out on Super H-point, but couldn't get a good group past about 20 yards, so I switched to Superdomes and 'hey presto!'

Try a few other pellets and find the one that's best for your rifle - what works in someone else's rifle might be useless in yours, even if your shooting the same model ! :hmm:

Asking around, Superdomes and Accupels seem popular, but you'll have fun trying pellets out - any excuse to shoot !! :yes:

Good luck Lewis.