Thinking Of Getting A 2Nd Rifle

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to airgunning but love it so far. My first and only rifle is a HW97KT in .177 caliber which I bought 2nd hand. Its great, and I'm getting better and better with it every time I take it out. The thing is that I can't help wanting a 2nd rifle, probably in .22 to try something different. I can't afford another £300+ rifle so I'm considering the SMK springers, something along the lines of the XS19 in .22 with a basic scope.

Another reason for getting a 2nd rifle is that I'd like to get the 97 tuned by sfs, but as he keeps them 6 to 8 weeks I will need another rifle to play about with while its in the shop. I'm thinking a 2nd cheaper rifle would also be useful for the wet days when I want to keep my nice 97 indoors!

So anyway, to the point. Are the SMK's any good? As I said I'd want a .22 only because I already have a .177 but I'd still only be doing target shooting, not hunting.

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol you aint going to like an smk much after a hw97 for sure.

Whoa there boy, you want accurate, you want good build? Look for a secondhand HW80, 90, 95 or 99! The 99 is the lightest, followed by the 95!

Your very well informed for a beginner

Yeah I got the best I could afford first time round after reading up advice on here and other forums. To be honest I love the 97 in resting positions but do struggle to stand with it due to the weight of it. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to own a lighter rifle to practice standing with. Will there be a big difference in accuracy? I can maybe accept a difference in quality and looks as long as its still accurate?

Whoa there boy, you want accurate, you want good build? Look for a secondhand HW80, 90, 95 or 99!

The 99 is the lightest, followed by the 95!

I have been keeping my eye out, not too many about, but I think even a 2nd hand Weihrauch is going to be more than I wanted to pay for a 2nd mucking about rifle.

There are some decent reviews of these SMK's around, for example: http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/workspace/uploads/products-documents/xs19-18.pdf and http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/workspace/uploads/products-documents/smk20-gm-09-2012.pdf

Edited by dangerousdan

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to airgunning but love it so far. My first and only rifle is a HW97KT in .177 caliber which I bought 2nd hand. Its great, and I'm getting better and better with it every time I take it out. The thing is that I can't help wanting a 2nd rifle, probably in .22 to try something different. I can't afford another £300+ rifle so I'm considering the SMK springers, something along the lines of the XS19 in .22 with a basic scope.

Another reason for getting a 2nd rifle is that I'd like to get the 97 tuned by sfs, but as he keeps them 6 to 8 weeks I will need another rifle to play about with while its in the shop. I'm thinking a 2nd cheaper rifle would also be useful for the wet days when I want to keep my nice 97 indoors!

So anyway, to the point. Are the SMK's any good? As I said I'd want a .22 only because I already have a .177 but I'd still only be doing target shooting, not hunting.

Thanks

Dan

Your very well informed for a beginner ;)

• Like 1

Go second hand all the way pal you need know what you may find, ive had a s16 for £45 a lightning xl for £35 hw 80 £60 s410 £180 s200 and pump £40 all legit people strapped for cash ect have a nose about pal there's defo bargains to be had if your not in a great rush.

Also get up what your budget is you never know you may get something offered ;)

If you want to go new I can get you a £200 rifle for £100.

Interested?

Walnut stocked, truglo open sights, two stage trigger, yep, Hatsan 60 S if you are after a .22, comes in at around the £100 mark round here! Recoils a bit (was designed to be FAC but throttled back for the UK market and still has a heavyweight piston in), but controllable.