Pups First Catch On The Lamp At 8 Months Old!!

Hi all, got to share this as I am overjoyed. Took my pup out on the lamp for a quick wonder conditions were perfect dark and blowing a gale. Obviously with his age it had to be the perfect rabbit also we wonderd through a couple if fields and every rabbit I put the lamp on got up and bolted for cover. I was begining to think it wasn't our night..... Until in the next field the grass was a little longer I flicked the lamp on and saw a pair of eyes glinting right in the middle of the field. I walked tentively towards the eyes. As I got closer the rabbit squatted down lower ears standing to attention. The pup soon clocked on to what it was and was pulling wanting to get off the slip I held him back until we were right on top of it the rabbit got up and shit across the field so I hastely slipped the pup and the chase was on. He coursed the rabbit for what felt like forever was probably about 1minute twisting and turning the rabbit then he took a strike at it and got it in his jaws then rolled over about four times and let the rabbit slip from his jaws he then got up and was on it again my heart was pounding out of my chest by this point and I was buzzing with excitement and apprehension he lunged at the rabbit a second time and I heard the fatal sqeak of the rabbit I knew he had it this time for sure. I was happy with this as it was but then thought on to just try and see if he would retrieve it back to hand so I turned the lamp of and give a little whistle.......... Waiting patiently I could hear him getting closer the whole time I was hoping he still had it in his mouth. He arrived back at my side and there it was the first rabbit caught and retrieved back to hand I was hob smacked!!!!! All the training we have done together over the months has paid off big time!! Truly a great feeling........ post-90110-0-56663700-1381436501.jpg

• Like 18

I no only to well this feeling as my bitch got her first bunny not so long ago nothing beats that feeling and relief of getting the first one in the bag well done to you both

And if you don't mind me saying still take your time as he is still very young wish you and the dog the very best of luck

• Like 1

Thanks mate, and yes he's done a little bit of day work obviously he's only 8 month old so i haven't pushed him to hard. I've done plenty of lamp training with him and if the conditions are right and the rabbits are right then ill give him a run if he doesn't catch I'd place the dummy out and end the night on a high. :) he's going be a real good dog

• Like 1

One bad thing is that during day work the dog will hunt up and this is a big no no on the lamp. It's all about how much time u are willing to put into the dog from a young age and when the dog hits 12 months this will show. I take mine out with a chap who has 14 month old collie greyhound whippet and it's not got a patch on mine. Like I say you have got to make time

Thanks, I've read things for, and against, working them during the day, if you are going to lamp them, but it looks like it is working for you.

What I'm saying is it's personal preference for what u do with your dog my pup is going to be a ferreting dog and a lamping dog ad will also do a little bit on the feather. But I have put every last minute of everyday I have spare into my pup and it shows Hes obedient patient clever and behaves how I want him to on the lamp I can't ask anymore of him.