Mystery Smell, Well Horrendous Stink Actually.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it's sulphur smell ,,, it's easy to I.D,,,,your house is possessed ,,,,, you need an exorcism .....

Denis Nielsons ,s neighbours had the same type of problem with smells , do you see people enter next door , but never see them leave ?

The smell ain't following you around is it? Lol

If your sure its not through lack of use, then check how washing machine connects to waste pipe. Then it will be suction, if you fill a sink then pull a plug does the other sink gurgle ,when washing machine is pumping do sinks gurgle,it might need to be a combination to empty if it's not happing often,ie washing machine emptying same time as sink emptying.

• Like 1

If your sure its not through lack of use, then check how washing machine connects to waste pipe. Then it will be suction, if you fill a sink then pull a plug does the other sink gurgle ,when washing machine is pumping do sinks gurgle,it might need to be a combination to empty if it's not happing often,ie washing machine emptying same time as sink emptying.

You may have something there!

I'll have to take a look.

Unfortunately, I'm not even in the country just now, never mind the house! :icon_eek:

The sh*t that I sit and think about when we're not busy... :whistling:

I have mentioned the washing machine to Mrs Me before now, but as it never seems to be shut off, we were reluctant to believe it was the culprit!

I'll get Mrs me to try what you have suggested.

Cheers :thumbs:

Guest norseman

get those bottles of drain cleaner mate,sometimes they do deals on them in the supermarkets.

caustic soda is the dogs :thumbs: just watch ye don't roast the pipes, or put it in a blocked drain.

get those bottles of drain cleaner mate,sometimes they do deals on them in the supermarkets.

caustic soda is the dogs :thumbs: just watch ye don't roast the pipes, or put it in a blocked drain.

Heavy Duty that..........Maybe give 'Mr. Muscle' a go 1st. :laugh:

Unfortunately, I'm not even in the country just now, never mind the house! :icon_eek:

I have mentioned the washing machine to Mrs Me before now, but as it never seems to be shut off, we were reluctant to believe it was the culprit!

It will be something on those lines,first one though is find where washing machine connects to waste pipe if the grey pipe from it drops into the 1/12 pipe even if there's a trap on it tape the top well so its air tight.

It will be something on those lines,first one though is find where washing machine connects to waste pipe if the grey pipe from it drops into the 1/12 pipe even if there's a trap on it tape the top well so its air tight.

Actually just been sitting here thinking about that very point.

I seem to think it just 'Hooks' into like a 'standpipe' idea..?? May be wrong tho.

To enable Mrs Me to experiment, would an old rag wrapped around / jammed in work for just now, ?

It could take a while to know, like I say it can go for long enough without even being there.

Cheers again :thumbs:

Heavy Duty that..........Maybe give 'Mr. Muscle' a go 1st. :laugh:

remember years ago,i used to give the greyhoundsa bit butter with washing soda.it made them sick and brought up all the sand from there throat.mate went home to try it,and just in the nic of time his dad stopped him, silly c**t was going to to give the dog caustic soda

where does the main soil pipe run? does it travel straight through the wall or run in the cavity? ive heard of ones leaking inside the cavity wall before :bad: hopefully its nothing that serious.

Na, It's out through the wall, fairly sure.

But even thogh, why just sometimes? It can be ok for days / weeks even, then we get a spell of it?

F**KING annoying.......and stinkin'!

But if your drains carrying the soil outside are cracked it might be leaking back in under the house. Maybe think about getting your drains surveyed.

Could be loss of trap seal ive been to a job where the person has had a toilet put in an en suite upstairs or in a loft conversion and the same stack has been used. When the toilet is flushed due to the speed it comes from upstairs it draws the water out of the traps as it hits the bottom of the stack. Obviously this is all Internet diagnosis but I've had it happen. Can get things called anti vacuum traps that solve the problem. Not expensive either.