Mystery Smell, Well Horrendous Stink Actually.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it's sulphur smell ,,, it's easy to I.D,,,,your house is possessed ,,,,, you need an exorcism .....

Denis Nielsons ,s neighbours had the same type of problem with smells , do you see people enter next door , but never see them leave ?

The smell ain't following you around is it? Lol

Check that there's an air break in the grey pipe from the back of the washing machine. That U shaped guide that most people discard needs to be fitted and needs to be as close to the underside of the worktop as possible. This is a common cause of smells. I doubt you've got syphonage issues unless your house is 4 storeys or taller. Don't tape up the standpipe serving the washing machine or any other openings within the system because you'll create air locks and the waste water won't run away properly. A trap that is filled with water will prevent smells without the need for any tape or cloths blocking the open pipes.

I've seen a dish washer empty kitchen sink traps in bungalows there's lots of. Different syphonage.

Tape the top of washing machine stand pipe won't effect drainage at all I do it as a matter of course.

Edited by weasle

The smell is truly RANCID, Nothing the extractor should have to cope with..

Just spoken to Mrs me, and she says we've had a new washing machine since the smell started, so doesn't think it should be to blame.

She was saying that she seems to think it's only since we had the heating kicking in in a morning. But, as stated at the start, the boiler is only a few years old, and was serviced the other month there.

Smell has been coming and going.....

Confusing.

Any chance the primary pipes from boiler are passing close to a trap causing evaporation,it will be a trap problem,nothing to do with new or old machine it's just water getting sucked out of traps ,or evaporation,the waters only there to stop the smells coming back up.

Check that there's an air break in the grey pipe from the back of the washing machine. That U shaped guide that most people discard needs to be fitted and needs to be as close to the underside of the worktop as possible. This is a common cause of smells. I doubt you've got syphonage issues unless your house is 4 storeys or taller. Don't tape up the standpipe serving the washing machine or any other openings within the system because you'll create air locks and the waste water won't run away properly. A trap that is filled with water will prevent smells without the need for any tape or cloths blocking the open pipes.

I've seen a dish washer empty kitchen sink traps in bungalows there's lots of. Different syphonage.

Tape the top of washing machine stand pipe won't effect drainage at all I do it as a matter of course.

Why do you tape the stand pipe if it doesn't affect the drainage? Lol!!

It'll get you a non compliance statutory rectification notice if anyone one from WRAS or the local water authority inspects your work.

Just spoken to Mrs me, and she says we've had a new washing machine since the smell started, so doesn't think it should be to blame.

She was saying that she seems to think it's only since we had the heating kicking in in a morning. But, as stated at the start, the boiler is only a few years old, and was serviced the other month there.

Confusing.

As I said before if it's happening on odd occasions and only when the central heatings on I'll bet money ut's a dead mouse mate.

I've known one dead mouse clear an entire floor of offices

Confusing.

If the smell is only happening when the heating is on to me it points to a dead mouse lying on a hot pipe, the smell from them doesn't seem to be nearly as bad when the pipework is cold for some reason. There's an easy way tto test it, just turn the heating on for an hour and if the smell appears you have the answer, if it doesn't it's something else.

Look on the outside wall of the offending room,what do the first couple of courses look like on the brickwork?.

Like a wall.

The whole thing is only 2 or 3 years old.

The mouse theory was discussed before, but then, like I say, it can be ok for weeks, that's what throws me.

It is ALWAYS worst in a morning, and if we try heating on in an evening, I would say it doesn't stink.

Think there may be an evaporation issue, maybe???

Frustrating me now I have all your suggestions, as I'm away at work at the moment, and can't get stuck in to have a look for myself.

Thanks for all your theories tho, all very welcome.

Why do you tape the stand pipe if it doesn't affect the drainage? Lol!!

It'll get you a non compliance statutory rectification notice if anyone one from WRAS or the local water authority inspects your work.

Because I've seen to many let smells back up the pipe.

Look on the outside wall of the offending room,what do the first couple of courses look like on the brickwork?.

Like a wall.

The mouse theory was discussed before, but then, like I say, it can be ok for weeks, that's what throws me.

It is ALWAYS worst in a morning, and if we try heating on in an evening, I would say it doesn't stink.

Frustrating me now I have all your suggestions, as I'm away at work at the moment, and can't get stuck in to have a look for myself.

I could give you a few more to check is there a vent on the 4" pipe outside,is it close to the boiler does the 1 1/2 drop into a 4" pipe with a rubber bung.tbh your best bet would to be contact who ever built it tell them what's happing and get them to send a Plummer around he would find it and fix it much quicker than you.

Like a wall.

I could give you a few more to check is there a vent on the 4" pipe outside,is it close to the boiler does the 1 1/2 drop into a 4" pipe with a rubber bung.tbh your best bet would to be contact who ever built it tell them what's happing and get them to send a Plummer around he would find it and fix it much quicker than you.

:blink::blink:

You're right in what you're saying......

But I'm tight..!!!! :yes:

Can't see them being to interested in doing it for free after this time :hmm:

Cheers again tho :thumbs: