Fao Plasterers

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can buy a non hydrolic lime based plaster over the counter, preferably within the Yorkshire area?

There are plenty available over the internet but they wont be here by the time I want to do the work this weekend.

Any ideas?

thanks for looking

They will be the first port of call tomorrow morning mate but I'm not holding my breath... apparently need to mix in horse hair as well lol to help it bind...

There is loads available on line that I could order its more a case of can they deliver it on time for the weekend.

They will be the first port of call tomorrow morning mate but I'm not holding my breath... apparently need to mix in horse hair as well lol to help it bind...

There is loads available on line that I could order its more a case of can they deliver it on time for the weekend.

Is that on a heritage site or listed building mate? My brother done a big place in that a few years back, stuff he was given to use came premixed in plastic tubs. Can't remember the name of if.. :hmm:

Circumstances where non hydraulic lime plaster is actually necessary are few and far between in my experience. Either hydraulic made with cement and bag (hydrated) lime or the NHL stuff (which builders merchants sometimes stock) is generally fine in old buildings. Use a well graded sharp sand - ie. grains from small through to large. No need to buy the ready made plaster - it's just sand and lime.

• Like 1

Circumstances where non hydraulic lime plaster is actually necessary are few and far between in my experience. Either hydraulic made with cement and bag (hydrated) lime or the NHL stuff (which builders merchants sometimes stock) is generally fine in old buildings. Use a well graded sharp sand - ie. grains from small through to large. No need to buy the ready made plaster - it's just sand and lime.

Not always mate.. :no: I live in a national park, and they often specify exactly what you have to put on the walls, sometimes even down to the precise manufacturer of the products you have to use.. I f***ing hated having to have anything to do with them, worse than building inspectors! :laugh::thumbs:

Is that on a heritage site or listed building mate? My brother done a big place in that a few years back, stuff he was given to use came premixed in plastic tubs. Can't remember the name of if.. :hmm:

Yeah its a grade 2 listed farmhouse, luckily very little of it is latt and plaster so hopefully costs wont end up too ridiculous. All the original materials have pretty much been documented by the conservation officer while we were going through the sale so I am trying to go as much 'by the book' as possible to stop it biting me in the future

• Like 1

thanks for the response mate

I have the two options on the website i think I am gonna buy it from. the non hydraulic stuff is actually cheaper so i will go with that (not often it works out that way round)

Walkley Lane, Heckmondwike

West Yorkshire WF16 0PG

Tel

01924 400651

Fax

01924 403489

Email

Website

Product/Service

Suppliers of conservation materials and training

thanks mate, I will give them a bell tomorrow morning, I work in sheffield so calling in at wakefield is dead easy

West Yorkshire WF16 0PG

Tel

01924 400651

Fax

01924 403489

Email

Website

Product/Service

thanks mate, I will give them a bell tomorrow morning, I work in sheffield so calling in at wakefield is dead easy

where abouts you working in Sheffield pal?

Not always mate.. :no: I live in a national park, and they often specify exactly what you have to put on the walls, sometimes even down to the precise manufacturer of the products you have to use.. I f*****g hated having to have anything to do with them, worse than building inspectors! :laugh::thumbs:

Know what you mean - architects and conservation officers make you do things the way they were taught on some course, which is normally run by the same people that sell the products they're telling you to use. The trades who have learnt from experience and the old timers with generations of knowledge behind them tend to get ignored, after all, we don't have 'qualifications' :laugh:

• Like 1

West Yorkshire WF16 0PG

Tel

01924 400651

Fax

01924 403489

Email

Website

Product/Service

where abouts you working in Sheffield pal?

I work in the center of sheff mate

Edited to add: Its not plastering work I do for a day job though

• Like 1

i'v worked on the national trust sites in york as well as nostel a fook me they go into it, but it would be good to get on board permanent with them silly cnuts as money and time is no issue really :thumbs:

i shall start mixing the wattle n dawbe :thumbs:

• Like 1

Not always mate.. :no: I live in a national park, and they often specify exactly what you have to put on the walls, sometimes even down to the precise manufacturer of the products you have to use.. I f*****g hated having to have anything to do with them, worse than building inspectors! :laugh::thumbs:

Know what you mean - architects and conservation officers make you do things the way they were taught on some course, which is normally run by the same people that sell the products they're telling you to use. The trades who have learnt from experience and the old timers with generations of knowledge behind them tend to get ignored, after all, we don't have 'qualifications' :laugh:

Of course they are mate, it's all crooked.. The reason building regs change so often is because they keep coming out with new products to sell! :laugh: