Advice Needed For Beginner.

collie x for me. but for a beginner I wouldn't recommend a half x unless you are used to collies and the work you intend to to use it for would utilise its intelligence. collie/beddie mix always seem to turn out quite even lurchers, and the terrier element takes the edge off the collie sensitivity and makes for a more difficult dog to ruin

My first lurcher was a first cross,very easy to train and bring on.Their seems to be a thing on here about collie cross greyhounds as not a good first lurcher,can,t get my head round it?
I'm not knocking collie x's, I've had a few and my first dog was a collie x. They are easy to train, but they pick up bad habits just as quick as good ones. Some dogs with half or more collie can easily become obsessed with a certain activity, which can become a pain in the arse ( I have made these mistakes before). A beginner is better with a dog that learns at the same steady pace that the handler learns. Not a hard a fast rule, but one which I have seen pay dividends enough times for it to be valid in my own opinion
  • Like 2

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not knocking collie x's, I've had a few and my first dog was a collie x. They are easy to train, but they pick up bad habits just as quick as good ones. Some dogs with half or more collie can easi

My first lurcher was a first cross,very easy to train and bring on.Their seems to be a thing on here about collie cross greyhounds as not a good first lurcher,can,t get my head round it?

Collie whippet grey

collie x for me. but for a beginner I wouldn't recommend a half x unless you are used to collies and the work you intend to to use it for would utilise its intelligence. collie/beddie mix always seem to turn out quite even lurchers, and the terrier element takes the edge off the collie sensitivity and makes for a more difficult dog to ruin

I'm not knocking collie x's, I've had a few and my first dog was a collie x. They are easy to train, but they pick up bad habits just as quick as good ones. Some dogs with half or more collie can easily become obsessed with a certain activity, which can become a pain in the arse ( I have made these mistakes before). A beginner is better with a dog that learns at the same steady pace that the handler learns. Not a hard a fast rule, but one which I have seen pay dividends enough times for it to be valid in my own opinion

Well its each to their own,but I still think a colliexgrey is fine for a first lurcher

Well its each to their own,but I still think a colliexgrey is fine for a first lurcher

no that old chesnut again :laugh:

If collies can become obsessed with bad habits I'd rather avoid them as I'd really hate to do wrong by the dog, this is why I'm trying to research as much as possible at first. I'd hate to raise a dog from a pup for it to be a nuisance. Not only would I have wasted my time but I'd have ruined a dogs life that could have gone on to be a great worker with a more experienced owner. Thanks again for all your replies lads you're being a great help. :D

mate it doesn't really matter what you go for you could get a lurcher/lurcher cross and not really know what's in the mix and it could be better than the crosses mentioned but to put a cross on paper I would go for whippet x collie/grey. 1/2 whippet 1/4 collie 1/4 grey, good for mouching and lamping, good feet, brains, speed and should turn good to also calm and relaxed like you wanted but its up to you and im sure no matter what you get you will be happy with it. atb

• Like 1

i think its more a case of what suits your personality, hyper terrier bred types aint for me, collie x's can be just as obsessed with a good habit, i think it would be a good idea to make a few pals, get yourself out with a few types doing the stuff you want, on your type of ground and make your own mind up

• Like 1