Playing Golf With The Hmr

Had a cracking bit of fun with the 1517 on the farm today. Weather was gorgeous here in Lancashire, around 20 degrees C and with a slight wind on the hills where I shoot, possibly around 8mph. Having not shot my HMR for a while I thought I'd stretch it's legs a bit and have a play at over 200 yards, shooting at a golf ball. Well, after three shots I managed to whack it with my fourth :toast:

From a 100 yard zero on 10x mag I aimed 1.5 mil dots high at the golf ball set out at 204 yards. I gave 2 mil dots to the right to account for the wind. My first three shots missed by around 1" as I was only giving 1.5 mil dots for windage. The HMR is very much affected by the wind at 200 yards (at 100yds it doesn't seem to make any odds) but if you are experienced in reading the wind you can certainly make the most of this rimfire.

All good fun on a nice day and a great way to relax! :victory:

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 3

Nice bit of shooting although I have to question your idea of a safe backstop. Top of a stone wall with gaps in it??

Thanks seeker, our family owns the 300 acres around it which includes the wall and the 20 acre sloping field behind the target which I was shooting at from a raised position :thumbs:

Impressive shooting! And yes, Lancaster had one of its best summers for years, did it not? :)

Yes it has been a great year. I notice you're a member lf MRPC, unfortnately I didn't renew my membership this year due to lack of funds. It's a bit of a trek for me too for the 25m of indoor range where I can only use my air rifle. A great place to get zero'd up though and if you're into .22LR target shooting it's bob on. Good people and a nice friendly atmosphere :thumbs:

• Like 1

Had a cracking bit of fun with the 1517 on the farm today. Weather was gorgeous here in Lancashire, around 20 degrees C and with a slight wind on the hills where I shoot, possibly around 8mph. Having not shot my HMR for a while I thought I'd stretch it's legs a bit and have a play at over 200 yards, shooting at a golf ball. Well, after three shots I managed to whack it with my fourth :toast:

From a 100 yard zero on 10x mag I aimed 1.5 mil dots high at the golf ball set out at 204 yards. I gave 2 mil dots to the right to account for the wind. My first three shots missed by around 1" as I was only giving 1.5 mil dots for windage. The HMR is very much affected by the wind at 200 yards (at 100yds it doesn't seem to make any odds) but if you are experienced in reading the wind you can certainly make the most of this rimfire.

All good fun on a nice day and a great way to relax! :victory:

good shooting mate.. what scope you using??

LD

Nice shooting mate, bunnies are in some strife if they poke their heads out of their warren at 200.

Only if they're playing golf!

Nice shooting though.

Normally I wouldn't advocate shooting against a wall but as you own 300 acres around it, any mishapen ricochet is unlikely to leave your land.

Edited by Alsone

Nice shooting mate, bunnies are in some strife if they poke their heads out of their warren at 200.

Only if they're playing golf!

Nice shooting though.

Normally I wouldn't advocate shooting against a wall but as you own 300 acres around it, any mishapen ricochet is unlikely to leave your land.

:thumbs: