Parasol Mushrooms

I cant say i store them as they get eaten straight away. Added to a fry up or used as any other mushroom is how I have always eaten them. One of my favs is fried with Blue cheese (blue vinny) salt and pepper and thyme and served on chunky toast.

Personally they are best fresh and not always as good once they have been about a few days.

• Like 1

I cant say i store them as they get eaten straight away. Added to a fry up or used as any other mushroom is how I have always eaten them. One of my favs is fried with Blue cheese (blue vinny) salt and pepper and thyme and served on chunky toast.

Personally they are best fresh and not always as good once they have been about a few days.

Do you mind if I copy this recipe for one of my blogs? I'll give you a mention :thumbs: It sounds delicious.

• Like 1

Thanks for that SIRIUS. I`m on it!! Will source a bit`o`blue & give that a go this weekend me thinks!!!

I`ll let you know my thoughts.

Cheers... :thumbs:

You need to pick and eat them before the gills start to colour. They are best before the cap has completely opened, and definitely while the gills are still white. The damper the conditions, the quicker they rot. They taste bitter if they are too old. I usually fry them slowly in a mixture of olive oil and a bit of butter, sprinkled with garlic salt. Totally delicious.

In France they call them the poor man's steak, because they are almost a meal in themselves. They don't dry well at all, unlike some other types of fungi.

You need to pick and eat them before the gills start to colour. They are best before the cap has completely opened, and definitely while the gills are still white. The damper the conditions, the quicker they rot. They taste bitter if they are too old. I usually fry them slowly in a mixture of olive oil and a bit of butter, sprinkled with garlic salt. Totally delicious.

In France they call them the poor man's steak, because they are almost a meal in themselves. They don't dry well at all, unlike some other types of fungi.

Right, that`s it! You`ve done it now Penny!! I am leaving work early, going home to get changed, pick up the dogs & get me some poor mans steak for supper!!!

Do you mind if I copy this recipe for one of my blogs? I'll give you a mention :thumbs: It sounds delicious.

Go for it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Go for it. :thumbs:

Thanks Sirius :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I had parasols last year and I don't know if it was the way I cooked them but they weren't anything special. I prefer the field mushrooms. I found a chicken of the woods today while I was out ferreting but it was about 18ft up a tree so I had to leave it.

there's two sorts smoth skined & shagy the smoth is best as fresh as you can get it (get it in the pan before ya take ya boots off) as above oil an butter in frying pan salt ,garlic, enjoy :thumbs:

Edited by derbyduck
  • Like 1