What Kind Of Ducks?

Keep in mind I am a simple American asking this question, ;) but what kind of ducks might you shoot over the course of the year in the UK?

I live in Iowa, smack dab in the middle of the States, and right along the Mississippi flyway. Over the course of a season a guy may have a chance at wood ducks, blue and greenwing teal, mallards, widgeon, gadwall, northern shovelers, canvasbacks, redheads, ringnecks, bluebills, buffleheads, northern pintails, and even an occasional black duck.

Early in the season it is mostly wood ducks, teal. and some mallards. Late in the season its mostly mallards, but there will be a sprinkling of the rest taken over the course of the season.

Brian

Only types Round here in numbers are teal mallard widgeon not sure if snipe and are classed

As duck Iam sure there are more types about but that's just what we shoot mainly

Yes i hear snipe quacking all the time :whistling:

• Like 2

By far the biggest proportion are mallard and a long way behind them in terms of numbers shot would be teal and then wigeon.

Over the course of a season, regular wildfowlers might also bag the occasional shoveller, pintail, goldeneye, tufted duck, gadwall, etc depending on their geographic location.

By far the biggest proportion are mallard and a long way behind them in terms of numbers shot would be teal and then wigeon.

Over the course of a season, regular wildfowlers might also bag the occasional shoveller, pintail, goldeneye, tufted duck, gadwall, etc depending on their geographic location.

I would of thought widgeon would be after mallard ????

I would of thought widgeon would be after mallard ????

If you mean coastal shooting (wildfowling in the strict sense) then I think you're right but this guy is asking about duck shooting generally (inland and coastal) in which case I reckon teal would be 2nd after mallard. I'd be interested to know if there are any stats out there.

On the east coast of Scotland about 45 minutes from the cost we get in the following order: mallard, teal, wigeon. Later on in the season we get more wigeon but teal always pip them to second place never heard of much else being shot but it may well happen, at the local RSPB Reserve that we used to do the deer control on I used to see shell duck, the ocasional eider and a few tufted duck. But never shot any.

Edited by themightybuck