Work And Family Commitments

obi2

I am due a newborn in january and Work seems to be taking off big time and I am struggling to manage, family, work and hunting time. I am self employed and have my own small building company and things are taking off and I find myself with less and less time. It's not fair on my hawk sitting in an aviary everyday even tho he's free lofted I'd rather he was out flying. Has anyone been in the same situation and how did they manage? The fair thing would be find the hawk a good home but I know I'd regret it on quiet days. Any advice is welcome

make a point of having an afternoon off or make a few hours at the weekend --lifes not all about work and you`ll find you`ll need that bit of time to let off steam once you`ve got the balance right you`ll be sound -- had the same problem in the late 80s early 90s and I took time out of the terriers to run my business --but found it was all work and no pleasure .. just put that extra hour in every day or start an hour earlier so that come 12 0`clock Friday you can say that's it I`m off ...

Edited by the_stig
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, some good advice. I'm glad other people have been un the same position. Right now my frame of mind is work, work work but i know the day will come that Il regret Moving him on. It's a male Harris I have. Do you think it is worth keeping to fly 1 or 2 days for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks guys, some good advice. I'm glad other people have been un the same position. Right now my frame of mind is work, work work but i know the day will come that Il regret Moving him on. It's a male Harris I have. Do you think it is worth keeping to fly 1 or 2 days for a couple of hours a week?

I don't know about hawks --but when I got back into the dogs I made being self employed work for me .... I understand with a baby due and work taking off how you feel but you still have to make time for yourself whatever your chosen sport/hobby is you need that out let ...atb for the future whatever you chose to do :thumbs:

No I don't think that's enough time to fly a bird mate!

• Like 1

tell us a bit more be interesting to know -- how many hours/much time they need on the wing ? :thumbs:

a couple of hours a day in the winter at last for say a harris to follow on and hunt, fair does fitness can be achieved at home high jumping etc but to be fair best fitness is gained hunting quarry, plenty seem to fly em weekend sonly however these are bright sociable birds and I think they suffer more than other types if deprived of human company and time out hunting in a pack with human dog and bird

to bwe fair it don't take the time some would like to make out it does, but like most things in life the more ya put in the more ya get out

Mollski its was a barn owl a couple of day ago was it not :hmm::hmm: now you wanting a harris :huh:

• Like 2

IF ever you are thinking of selling him email me please,i hope you get the time,i had a harris but moved house then had kids,just started to get my time back ,now they have just started school ;)

Iv got someone who can fly him everyday bud. It's just down to me making the final decision.

I don't know about hawks --but when I got back into the dogs I made being self employed work for me .... I understand with a baby due and work taking off how you feel but you still have to make time for yourself whatever your chosen sport/hobby is you need that out let ...atb for the future whatever you chose to do :thumbs:
Your right bud but I don't think the amount of time id manage would be fair to a hawk. I would still go out with the terriers n hounds and fit a bit of shooting in.

A couple of hours everyday is a must with any bird imo, sat in aviary doing f**k all must be mind numbing, maybe you could loan him out to your mate until your in a position to give him the time he needs

Same here