Work And Family Commitments

obi2

where there is a will there is usually a way,. :thumbs: I work 24 hr shifts start at 10am one day finish 10am the next day travel takes an hour and a half either way if all connections are made on time if not longer. I also have a young family and wife, plus a son who lives with my ex, who spends half his life at my place, now it would be easy to say I aint got time to keep a falcon and coursing dogs and spaniel, my dogs are fit as fiddles, ot only are they walked and hunted most days they also get properly conditioned behind a bike etc,all attention to detail, am the same with me bird flown every day of the season , with the exception of bad weather days and days he off cos of full crops after days he done real well, sure theres the odd perfect day I choose to take off for what ever reason, but I manage as best I can, yeah its hard work, sure it causes me martial strife, but if its what you really want you will do the work and make it work for yourself and your stock.

We can't all be in the fortunate position of doing what we want when we want, so it comes down simply to just how much you want it at the end of the day imho as long as you can cover the minimum needed Im sure the bird would prefer that life as opposed to being stuck for 20 year in a breeding pen :cray: its down to motivation , some lads wanna be a falconer but fall at the first hurdle , some just get on and make a success of it , cause its what they really want :yes: not in one million years would I give up my job to work in a falconry job....never, tot up- just how many hours you spend a week doing sod all, ie watching TV, also tot up how many hours you should be doing something and don't, most have far more spare time than they think, some just simply chose to use it, some don't. The winters hunting season is not quite as long as some would like to think it is, plenty of days you simply cannot get out cause of the weather, use them to do the DIY and spend time with your kids and wife etc doing family shit or invite them to come along and see your passions.

Its a daily job for sure , but so is a dog looked after even to a minimum standard still needs walking , still needs company and feeding etc oh the real shitter is you struggle like feck to take a holiday unless your buddies keep birds as well lol The priority is always the bird if you know in your heart of hearts you cannot do it then do not do it :thumbs:

• Like 4

You will be fine mate! I've got a FHH mrs just had a wee girl and I thought I wouldn't have time with bird bud I have don't give it up! Theres always a way round it! And I've just gone and got my self a cocker spaniel to so bare with it mate!! It will turn out great!! Atb Lorne

1 or 2 days a week is not enough at all and what happen if on the 1 or 2 days its raining?you will never get the results you want. It may just be me but if I can't put 100% into something I don't see the point in doing it! It would be better for you to loan out your bird to your mate and get her back when you have the time to do it properly.

• Like 1

You will be fine mate! I've got a FHH mrs just had a wee girl and I thought I wouldn't have time with bird bud I have don't give it up! Theres always a way round it! And I've just gone and got my self a cocker spaniel to so bare with it mate!! It will turn out great!! Atb Lorne

1 or 2 days a week is not enough at all and what happen if on the 1 or 2 days its raining?you will never get the results you want. It may just be me but if I can't put 100% into something I don't see the point in doing it! It would be better for you to loan out your bird to your mate and get her back when you have the time to do it properly.

I work shifts mate 6am-2pm and 10am-6pm so I have got plenty of time! Every time I get a chance I working with Jess getting her up and going when I'm on 6-2 I get up at 445am go out take her out and put her in the garden with bath and when I finish at 2 I put her in box and take her down farm! And if I'm on 10-6 she's in garden all day then I get her on creance in garden in the evening! I really thought I was gona struggle but its turning out great!! (So far so good) touch wood! Lol

I don't low about falconry because I haven't done a full season yet but with most hunting everybody starts out with the best intentions of hunting every spare hour they have etc. It's easily done at the beginning, at this time of year you can do a lot of stuff.The same later on in the season. However it can be hard to keep things going well all season long. At least it was for me at times, those hard winters played havoc with my hunting once being stuck in heavy snow in Ireland for a week.

There's nothing you can about harsh weather but its made worse the more stock you have that isn't getting worked.

Just my opinion, I know lads that are a lot keener than me and just make it all work out.

I work shifts mate 6am-2pm and 10am-6pm so I have got plenty of time! Every time I get a chance I working with Jess getting her up and going when I'm on 6-2 I get up at 445am go out take her out and put her in the garden with bath and when I finish at 2 I put her in box and take her down farm! And if I'm on 10-6 she's in garden all day then I get her on creance in garden in the evening! I really thought I was gona struggle but its turning out great!! (So far so good) touch wood! Lol

That maybe with you I'm on

About the thread starter 1-2 days flying a week is not enough its not fair I don't think but what do I no

see ginger you made it work pal, it looked liek you was gunna have to pack up iirc, howeevr with a few adjusts you still right in there, sure you up at crack of dawn but hey its welkl worth the sacrifice aint it pal, Im up daft o clock jogging dogs in dark, then home feed em and off out to get bird worked with or lure work for exercise, then back home dogs out for walk, donbe be 8am quick brekky off to work, all done for the day, arrive home next day and out with dogs for jogging or walk , some days its work for em hunting, then afternoon or evening birds out exercisied or hunted, again job done, fair does I mniss corrie eastenders news in fact all the crap on TV but hey its well worth it

depends where you are in life dont it, are you live to work or work to live, the birds welfare is priority, so if you really cannot you should not, if youhave no choice cos its in your genes you will find a way and amke it work, mayeb not to everyones standards but as long as all basic needs are met then I dont see the problem,

btw Pointer are ye getting home sick boyo :tongue2: she eating well pal, enjoyed nice prtion of fresh rabbit saturday, hope you restign your weary bones well buddy we got a busy winter ahead pal, good day this weekend if ya fancy it :yes: wont end in tears like last year either :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lol

I'm ready to come back now, its been good but two weeks is maybe a few days too many.I passed up the chance to reel in a White Marlin when I thought it was on another persons rod not one of the extras the crew had put out. It's been a hard thing to take as the Marlin is arguably the greatest fish of them all. I'll give you the full story when I get back.

My feet are blistered from the rock hopping out fishing and I took a fairly nasty fall the other day which only cut my ankle and a few other scraps but the next day I felt like I'd been kicked in the ribs and back. So now it hasn't been very relaxing mate lol.

I'm glad shes ok, I knew she would be. See you soon I'm back early hours Friday.

• Like 1

It was a split second decision that I got wrong and will regret for the rest of my life.

Sadly the marlin got the line wrapped around its head area and badly cut a gill so it had to be killed which was a real shame for such a creature. I never got a chance of landing anything big this time, luck of the draw. Other lads caught big stingray and shark.

I caught a shark last night but mine was only a foot long lol.

I'm happy enough I wanted to catch fifty types of fish this summer I'm at fifty six so I can get back home and concentrate fully on my Harris hawk. I think I'm in a position to fly a Harris almost daily but we will see how everything turns out. Things always happen every season that we didn't plan for, injuries, weather etc.

Looking forward to getting going again though, won't be long especially if Arcticgun starts getting her weight down before I get home lol.

• Like 2