Clearing Canadian Geese

Just need some help and advise on a sorting out some Canadian geese as I have got a few pre charged air rifles 177 and 2.2 also I have got a lamp but never been asked to clear geese before,apparently ther are about 50 of them on cricket grounds,do I shoot them day and night or put out decoys e.t.c

Any advise would be appreciated,cheers

This is a new species to me, are these anything like Canada Geese? :D:D:thumbs:

First off refer to the GL and make sure you have complied.

A 12ft lb PCP is NOT the tool to deal with them.

If you must, get very close and only consider brain shots, you will not penetrate the feathers at all with this and chest shots will only injure them. Be prepared for plenty of Claret as they flap about too.

I favour HMR for Head shots and the table, and for general clearance the WMR with a 30g V-Max tends to make them fall down almost wherever you shoot them.

I have been there and I have done it, and experience tells me a 12ft lb air rifle is NOT the tool to do the job!

Edited by Deker

I'm not too sure on culling geese but I do know its illegal to use a light to shoot birds.

Just to add a bit there....

Artificial illumination, mirrors, flare guns, lasers, etc., not just lights, and not all birds, Feral Pigeons excluded! :thumbs:

• Any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for shooting at night.
  • Any form of artificial lighting or any mirror or other dazzling device.

I'd agree with Deker that an air rifle is not a great idea on geese - even FAC rated. I imagine the person who has asked you doesn't know too much about what can and can't drop them and asked you as you do the rabbit control. The last thing you want is for an injured goose with claret pouring out of it cartwheeling all over 3rd leg in front of dog walkers & council busy-bodies picking up dog shit or lurking in hedgerows. Something quick and splatty like the HMR would be the weapon of choice imo.

• Like 1

12 gauge No4's with large loads, line their heads up and boom! Should be able to get 3 or 4 or even more with one shot.

If your serious about getting numbers it's the only way. If you just want 1, 2, or 3 then the HMR but I can tell you one thing they won't stay around for long once the other start flapping and I don't care what you shoot them with, they will flap, head shot or not.

12 gauge No4's with large loads, line their heads up and boom! Should be able to get 3 or 4 or even more with one shot.

If your serious about getting numbers it's the only way. If you just want 1, 2, or 3 then the HMR but I can tell you one thing they won't stay around for long once the other start flapping and I don't care what you shoot them with, they will flap, head shot or not.

:hmm::hmm: Not many flap about without a head, and they don't flap with a decent body shot with a V-max rimfire or CF. I find a shotgun tends to make then take flight pretty quick, rifle seems to work best for me when they are on the ground, such is life, whatever works for you! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

:hmm::hmm: Not many flap about without a head, and they don't flap with a decent body shot with a V-max rimfire or CF. I find a shotgun tends to make then take flight pretty quick, rifle seems to work best for me when they are on the ground, such is life, whatever works for you! :thumbs:

I have V-max for my HMR and have used them for Goose cull and some will drop without movement (It does open their heads like a tomato with a hammer), but I will say again many will flap.

Ever chopped a chickens head off? Also I've never done a body shot with a HMR on geese.

I cull Canada's every year (for the last 3 years) and if you need to do numbers, shot guns and a number of people is the way we've done it.

If it were for the pot then I would agree with you 100%. I know you well experienced with firearms and normally I wouldn't even bother questioning your methods, but the man says he has 50 birds to deal with. How many do you think you could cull in one sitting with a HMR?

Just to mention, I've never used a CF on geese, so can't really comment.

I have V-max for my HMR and have used them for Goose cull and some will drop without movement (It does open their heads like a tomato with a hammer), but I will say again many will flap.

Ever chopped a chickens head off? Also I've never done a body shot with a HMR on geese.

I cull Canada's every year (for the last 3 years) and if you need to do numbers, shot guns and a number of people is the way we've done it.

If it were for the pot then I would agree with you 100%. I know you well experienced with firearms and normally I wouldn't even bother questioning your methods, but the man says he has 50 birds to deal with. How many do you think you could cull in one sitting with a HMR?

Just to mention, I've never used a CF on geese, so can't really comment.

I use the HMR for Head shots and the table, for general control/removal I most commonly use a WMR with a 30g V-Max, it works.

Maybe 10-12 on a normal session with up to 2 people, the rest often get the idea after a day or two and decide not to come back! :thumbs:

Is it still the cricket season... he could always wait until the summer when they are flightless and deal with them all in one go!

Much more than 10-12 you will need a truck, they are not small! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1