10 Month Old Lurcher

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don`t rush   That really is a rule worth following. Too many are over keen, and can damage a dogs potential by running it too early. Granted, all dogs differ, and really , the only person who can c

dont run him with another dog when hes learning,i dont even have another dog present,try him off on a dead catch,mixi rabbit if poss,build up his confidence.dont run the grannys out of him.

Just wondering wether i should try him on a few rabbits tonight he's been out with us lamping and is keen to go but i have not yet slipped him eny advice would be appreciated.

Dint realy see much worth running going to try again Saturday i think

hes only a pup still I would be all on for bringing him out but pick your slips make it as easy for him as possible. choose close slips this gives him a better chance of catching them. if you run him to hard to soon you will fcuk him up, this is just mo and others will tell you different.

• Like 1

Don`t rush

That really is a rule worth following. Too many are over keen, and can damage a dogs potential by running it too early.

Granted, all dogs differ, and really , the only person who can choose when, is yourself.

I have a dog just now. I held him back till he was 14 months, He was raring to go, and when I took him out a fortnight ago, that was his first chase at rabbits. He nailed 2 crackers that he worked hard for, then retrieved them back to hand,

Now that was worth waiting on, beleive me.

I have no doubt you will use common sense, , at the end of the day, it`s your dog.

But imagine how gutted you would be if you run him on a coupla screamers that make the hedge easily, and he ends up with a bad habit learned through disheartenment

Take your time. And good luck bud. Let us all know how it goes with the pup.

ATB

Rake

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,i always find when a young dogs is eager for work a few runs on a night time bunny will do him the world of good,but pick your bunny for him,give him a few easy rabbits and if possible run him with a experienced dog,,and dont over tax him for a lot of dogs out there are ruined before they even get started.

dont run him with another dog when hes learning,i dont even have another dog present,try him off on a dead catch,mixi rabbit if poss,build up his confidence.dont run the grannys out of him.

Same here, like starting them off on there own.

Yeh mate in my opinion 10months prime age for starting a young dog,but all depends on dogs mentality.Do you thinks it's mentally mature to have a go?? After all,all mature at different stages,and always remember " little but often" approach, that's way I do it anyway but each to there own I suppose...all best any way!!!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...