All The Way From Australia

Hi all. I live in Australia,I hope you don't hold that against me as most of you seem to be in the UK and so forth. I am a single mum working in aged care. I got my first ferret over 10yrs ago and didn't know what to properly feed him,or how to train him. I ended up feeding him cat food,and training him as I would a dog. Did quite well too I must admit,he even went to the local primary school and played with the younger kids in the class. He was unfortunately stolen from my yard where I lived in a small country town,as the whole town knew he was totally tame and never took a nip at all.

I now have 2 ferret jills. One has been de-sexed,the other was due to be de-sexed this morning when I discovered that she had just gone into season!! Now I have to do the jill jab thing,and have her speyed at another time when she is out of season again. This is the one that I love to hunt with. My father told me many stories of when he was growing up and going ferreting himself,and how much fun he had. He would sling a bag over his back to hold his nets,get on his bike,and pedal to where the rabbits were whilst his ferret would run around inside his shirt.

I just recently went out with my dad and my sable/polecat jill who is about 6mths old (or so I am told when i got her). I had such an awesome time!! My 13yo daughter however nearly threw up and had tears in her eyes after we killed and field gutted the first rabbit. The next rabbit was a baby so she got to hold that for the duration of our ferreting trip which made her happy then. Would have been a nice tender meal,but I want to be able to take my daughter out with me again,and if I despatched that little bunny,not only would she not come out with me again,but the house would then get very quiet when she would have given me the cold treatment for the next oh,100 years haha.

A lot of my female friends don't understand my facination and excitement with hunting,or fishing. To me its the thrill of the catch,being able to supply a nice freshly caught meal to the dinner table,and the adventure and fresh air. That special bonding with your pet,and of course family members or friends whom you are with.

I guess i have written enough here for one night,so I thank you all for allowing this little Aussie battler into your forums and your lives,and hope to read and share many adventurous stories with you all.

Mel.

My daughter does eat meat. I think she just doesn't like the kill and gut thing. We have a pet rabbit here,so while she is fine going out hunting them,she will turn her head away. Am hoping that yes she will get into it,after all it is the way of life. God forbid we ever get a sheep to eat the grass in the backyard,i would call it roast and she would call it Buttons or some such thing.

Thanks for the warm welcome all.