Feeding Raw To A Puppy Advice

.... Done some searching on here regarding raw feeding to a puppy. Going to get some minced chicken carcass and minced beef, canned fish and occasional liver.

Pup will be nine weeks old......so when will I be able to feed turkey necks and lamb bones etc?

Should I bother to include a mixer and is there anything else you would advise?

Thanks

Edited by wuyang

.... Done some searching on here regarding raw feeding to a puppy. Going to get some minced chicken carcass and minced beef, canned fish and occasional liver.

Pup will be nine weeks old......so when will I be able to feed turkey necks and lamb bones etc?

Thanks

if it was me, i would start with a puppy meal 1st, so you know its getting the right amount for a balance diet, meat not not enought on its own. Once the pup starts to grow nice+ steady, start to add bits of raw meat as you go along.I norm finish with there worming give then couple more weeks, then give more raw meat .Mine have 1lb raw mince chicken and couple of cups of dry meal a day,as said meat ok for protein but any dog need more than just that, and more so young pups. :yes:

• Like 2

more RAW less of the shitty biscuits..balance it up with some fruit and veg..pasta and rice..Oily fish.

theres a full section on RAW feeding on this site..it worth doing a bit of homework.

People only use the biscuits/complete because they fear the RAW and dont trust themselves to get it right.

My pup is just over 10 months old now and has been on RAW since I got her...She is in fine fettle.

I've got a new pup here this week one of them little handbag dogs for the missis etc etc,When it came they gave her a bag of food it was being raised onto from the mothers milk.. Some branded wheat free/gluton free blah blah blah shite.

All the little thing was did was constantly eat the complete and drink none stop when awake. . . So now its on RAW minced chicken carcasses to start off with and the bowl of complete has not been touched since its had the choice..The pup is more content and is shitting better already and thats in 3 days.

Its not easy going completely RAW and ditching the Kibble.. But its worth it.

Obviously this argument can and will go on forever with some of the old skool dog owners. Funnily enough Ive just converted another one of my old pals from Kibble to raw.. he only tried it for 2 weeks and was amazed at how much difference it made with his Spaniels.

The most important bit is getting a good source of Raw in 1st place. . some of the stuff I have purchased has been very poor quality especially chicken..its wattered down and stinky. . .I do my own these days.

I feed my dog a mix of meats, chicken, beef, lamb and tripe, that way I think if there is something missing in one it will be in another.

Other than that all he gets is whatever is left over from our meals in the way of veg's and raw bones when I can get them and he seems fit and healthy enough.

Thanks for all your input.

Cheers Buster, near J36 M1.......just been to a place a bit closer..... Not too far from Sheffield Wednesday football ground. 15 x 1lb frozen packs of ground chicken......ground lamb.....turkey n chicken....chicken n tripe etc £8 or I think 20 of the same was £10.

Always nice to know there's another supplier not too far away.

Wuyang

Were abouts in Yorkshire are you mate, Jays animal feeds in Askern [about 8 miles north of Doncaster] on the A19 do all you,ll need, atb, buster.

can't fault this supplier , used her for past 12month ....atb sesku

And a bit cheaper than the one Wuyang is using but not cheap enough to travel from Sheffield for, sounds like your sorted Wuyang, atb fella, buster.

When I got my pup I mixed dry with raw, and he used to just eat around the dry so just stopped putting it in, and went elsewhere for protein, veg rice etc, he's not keen on rabbit though, which is worrying...

ha, same with mine mate, she'll eat everything but doesn't fancy rabbit, my missus thinks it's hilarious and has started taking the p*ss saying the pup will end end up being a lap dog carried round in her handbag!

don't care if she doesn't like the taste, as long as the little shite chases and brings it back, lucky i like a rabbit stew eh :laugh:

Thanks

Now

Mine was eating whole chicken carcases, wings etc at 8 weeks, just supervise to make sure the pup isnt trying to swallow big pieces.

If you can get hold of it, lambs belly is good - my butcher sells me 6lb for 2 quid, it does stink though worse than tripe.