Ill Ferret

VETS OR AN HOB QUICK TIME ! OBVIOUSE!

The only thing obvious to me is that the jill is not herself which could be caused by a number of things. It could be related to being left in season or it might not, as you say a visit to the vet might be the best option

Can't get my head round the second part of your reply. It might be something contagious yet you suggest getting it to a hob, I don't think the owner of the hob would be too happy if it went downhill aswell.

All other things being equal, nobody should ever leave their jill in season without a vac hob or jill jab. Why take unecessary risks?

Both the jill jab and getting the hob vasectomised aren't risk free, there can be issues with both so where does that leave us?

With a dead jill (probably) if either aren't attempted. Most get ill if left in season so this should be common knowledge to all ferret keepers. Don't keep a female if you can't be asked to care for her properly.

That's embarrasing. :icon_redface:

How much hands on experience do you actually have or has your knowledge came from google? Have a read through

the forum mate, plenty of threads discussing the topic of jills being in season. :yes: Quite a few varying opinions on the subject but most would agree that jills can be left in season if they are looked after properly. Have a wee read of the thread below. :thumbs:

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/296408-the-implant/

• Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like a vet job.

The only thing obvious to me is that the jill is not herself which could be caused by a number of things. It could be related to being left in season or it might not, as you say a visit to the vet mig

With a dead jill (probably) if either aren't attempted. Most get ill if left in season so this should be common knowledge to all ferret keepers. Don't keep a female if you can't be asked to care for h

The only thing obvious to me is that the jill is not herself which could be caused by a number of things. It could be related to being left in season or it might not, as you say a visit to the vet might be the best option

Can't get my head round the second part of your reply. It might be something contagious yet you suggest getting it to a hob, I don't think the owner of the hob would be too happy if it went downhill aswell.

All other things being equal, nobody should ever leave their jill in season without a vac hob or jill jab. Why take unecessary risks?

Both the jill jab and getting the hob vasectomised aren't risk free, there can be issues with both so where does that leave us?

With a dead jill (probably) if either aren't attempted. Most get ill if left in season so this should be common knowledge to all ferret keepers. Don't keep a female if you can't be asked to care for her properly.

How much hands on experience do you actually have or has your knowledge came from google? Have a read through

the forum mate, plenty of threads discussing the topic of jills being in season. :yes: Quite a few varying opinions on the subject but most would agree that jills can be left in season if they are looked after properly. Have a wee read of the thread below. :thumbs:

My experience comes from quite a few of my mates who have made the mistake and ended up paying handsomely. Its nature mate. Stop being a tw*t.

Only a lucky few can be left to see their seasons through. I have explored this option already as I've just taken on a jill for the first time but am not gonna chance it.

Only a lucky few can be left to see their seasons through. I have explored this option already as I've just taken on a jill for the first time but am not gonna chance it.

quite simply....bollocks.

• Like 1

My experience comes from quite a few of my mates who have made the mistake and ended up paying handsomely. Its nature mate. Stop being a tw*t.

Rubbish..........jills can be left in season, I've done it umpteen times and not lost a fert before.

This place is getting like the fluffy ferret forum.

• Like 1

quite simply....bollocks.

Couldn't have wrote it better. :thumbs:

Rubbish..........jills can be left in season, I've done it umpteen times and not lost a fert before.

This place is getting like the fluffy ferret forum.

There ain't no learning some folk Johnny. :laugh::thumbs:

Sorry to hear about your ferret, I hope you got some answers as to why she passed away :(

As for leaving a Jill in season I think it really depends on the Jill and the level of care provided plus a whole lot of other environmental factors. While I was a vet nurse in a clinic that sees 99% of Western Australia's ferrets ( not that many ;) ) we had a few come in with aplastic anaemia due to being left in season for periods in excess of two months. Packed cell volume was 2% -3% in all cases and all were euthanised due to owners not wanting to persevere with treatment (likely poor outcome).

On the other hand we had jills that were left jn season for months and months with no ill effect and they would come out of season on their own. The older Jill's seem to be the ones that cope better in my experience. Jill's in this state come into season every 6-9 weeks all year round, sometimes more frequently. Not sure how it works in the rest of the world!

My sterilised (not a v-hob, plain and simple castration) boy brings my girls out of season if they are not going to be bred, quite handy as it means I don't need to keep males separated and my girls don't stay in season.

Only my experiences :) different things work for different ferrets and their owners!

Sorry to hear about your ferret, I hope you got some answers as to why she passed away :(

As for leaving a Jill in season I think it really depends on the Jill and the level of care provided plus a whole lot of other environmental factors. While I was a vet nurse in a clinic that sees 99% of Western Australia's ferrets ( not that many ;) ) we had a few come in with aplastic anaemia due to being left in season for periods in excess of two months. Packed cell volume was 2% -3% in all cases and all were euthanised due to owners not wanting to persevere with treatment (likely poor outcome).

On the other hand we had jills that were left jn season for months and months with no ill effect and they would come out of season on their own. The older Jill's seem to be the ones that cope better in my experience. Jill's in this state come into season every 6-9 weeks all year round, sometimes more frequently. Not sure how it works in the rest of the world!

My sterilised (not a v-hob, plain and simple castration) boy brings my girls out of season if they are not going to be bred, quite handy as it means I don't need to keep males separated and my girls don't stay in season.

Only my experiences :) different things work for different ferrets and their owners!

I'm intrigued, how does a neutered hob bring your jills out of season? Surely he has no interest in sex.

Ffs you have taken a jill on for the first time and you jump in with you need to do this and you need to do that because your mates said . There is plenty off folk keep there jills in season I'm not one of them so my only advice would of been take it to a vet maybe that should of been yours to