Ill Ferret

Ffs you have taken a jill on for the first time and you jump in with you need to do this and you need to do that because your mates said . There is plenty off folk keep there jills in season I'm not one of them so my only advice would of been take it to a vet maybe that should of been yours to

If this comment was aimed at me then I can tell you I'm paying heed to the horrible experiences A FAIR FEW of my mates have. Nobody told me what I should and should not do. Their beloved animals died because they were left in season. As said above by Arrowdane, it really does depend on the animal as all are individuals. But my question is why take risks when you do not know whether or not its safe to leave your animals in season??????? Go on, give me a plausible answer.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like a vet job.

The only thing obvious to me is that the jill is not herself which could be caused by a number of things. It could be related to being left in season or it might not, as you say a visit to the vet mig

With a dead jill (probably) if either aren't attempted. Most get ill if left in season so this should be common knowledge to all ferret keepers. Don't keep a female if you can't be asked to care for h

Very rare mate! My neutered cats and dogs still hump things including each other i.e. cos their frustrated or dominance that's well known but actual mating doesn't happen. Your hob has had his balls removed so wouldn't think he'd still want to stick it in the jills :laugh: Does actually successfully bring them out?? If he does, I would say that he has some testicular tissue left over that is giving him the instinctual urge.

• Like 1

my mates castrated rotwiller got on my lurcher bitch on her first season tied an everyfin but he had only been done a month before so i guess he still had the urge.

In cats it takes a month or so for the testosterone to leave the body ;) prob same for dogs. But don't know how it works for ferrets, maybe castrated hobs can bring jills out of season cos their bodies are fooled into thinking insemination has taken place? :laugh:

Definitely had em both out completely! I was there monitoring his anaesthetic :). he successfully brings them out of season every time. It's really handy because he doesn't come into rut, can live with other entire hobs without an issue and still brings the girls out if I'm not breeding . Over here quite a few boys that have been castrated still bring girls out of season, perhaps something here (castration method, living conditions, breeding randier boys lol) is done differently? Who knows! But I'm certainly not the only one who has this "problem" in Western Australia.

He was castrated at 3 years old after siring two litters who kits all died really young from so both him and the Jill were desexed, he's now 6 and still does it. It's always possibly that he could be borderline adrenal... Could be why he thinks he is a "real boy" doesn't show any other clinical signs of adrenal disease though.

Edited by Arrowdane

Definitely had em both out completely! I was there monitoring his anaesthetic :). he successfully brings them out of season every time. It's really handy because he doesn't come into rut, can live with other entire hobs without an issue and still brings the girls out if I'm not breeding . Over here quite a few boys that have been castrated still bring girls out of season, perhaps something here (castration method, living conditions, breeding randier boys lol) is done differently? Who knows! But I'm certainly not the only one who has this "problem" in Western Australia.

He was castrated at 3 years old after siring two litters who kits all died really young from so both him and the Jill were desexed, he's now 6 and still does it. It's always possibly that he could be borderline adrenal... Could be why he thinks he is a "real boy" doesn't show any other clinical signs of adrenal disease though.

Very interesting and am happy for you though I don't know why you couldn't just settle for a vasectomy, since the risk of adrenal problems in neutered ferrets is high along with insulinoma in the US cos they neuter at 5 weeks of age :icon_eek: but even when they are neutered later in life there's a risk of serious hormone distruption. But I am not sure what the rules are in Aus. Was it your choice to neuter?

We actually don't have a big issue with adrenal disease here to be honest.For example a lady I know and trust Has had 64 ferrets owned in 15 years only three have died or become ill from Adrenal disease, another 125 over the last 20 years and has lost not one to adrenal disease.

Most of us wait until ferrets are a year + in age before desexing, most pet ferret owners desex in Western Australia due the ferrets coming into season constantly all year round, you literally bring the jills out of season, they go through a phantom then bam , back in season. Boys tend to be in rut all year here too which isn't pleasant for those who want a cuddly indoor ferret!

I personally sit on the fence when it comes to sterilisation, it's really down to the owner and what they want their ferret for. Some of mine have been sterilised and some are entire :)

Most of our ferrets here die from renal failure or lymphoma out of interests sake. There is a massive genetic component to these diseases running in particular lines it seems, a whole multigenerational family of ferrets often die from the same disease and the breeders contribute to breed regardless.

With diseases, it depends where that particular line has originated from. Like I said, US ferrets are inbred and unhealthy and generally don't live beyond 7 years old from what I've read from owners over there. They also seem to be subject to a life of medication when they hit around 3-4 years old. Very sad. I would be interested in getting a ferret from over there because apparently the Marshall's breeders have bred them to be very docile and inactive so would be nice to do a comparison :laugh: Our UK/European ferrets are most healthiest. Many people I know have had ferrets dying at 13-15 of old age :yes:

Don't find that the 'rut' in males spoils there pet quality! the ones I keep as pets are just as sweet and cuddly and behaviour doesn't change at all towards me-they just smell a bit more. no problem lol.

The diseases you describe above are to do with light exposure. Ferrets are not native to Australia and therefore probably not suited to the weather. Aren't they illegal in most Aus states??