First Ferret

I got my first ferret yesterday and iv been told that they cant be kept alone and I should get another one to go with him. can ferrets be kept alone or will I have to get another to go with him and if I do should I get another hob or a jill. hes 6 months old thanks.

Edited by alan81

I wouldn't have just the one it limits the amount of burrows you can work , but you need to think what your going to do during the breeding season on whether you get a hob or jill

Yeah would make things slower on the field but agree with Happyferret, they need companionship as they are naturally sociable animals and will become bored and lonely by themselves. I should know because I have kept lone ferrets before. Now, not a single ferret I own lives by itself and its so nice to see them play together :tongue2: In my opinion the best case scenario you could have is a vac hob to sort out your jills when they come into season, apart from that you would need to separate your hobs during this time. :thumbs:

thank you lads for your help it looks like ill be getting another hob. is it ok to put them together straight away and keep a close eye on them or should I keep them divided so they can still smell each other for a couple of days thanks again.

Yeah the hobs need separating when they come into season next year. The One- I find bumming is okay it the fighting that I draw the line at :laugh::tongue2:

I dont mind them fighting if there getting bumed the one that doesn't dont get to go ferreting that week :tongue2::laugh:

vasectomise your hob for next year and get him a jill to play with then you don't have to worry about separation.. happy hunting :bye:

One jill might no be enough if he keeps forcing himself on the jill he could mark her or cut her and you still have to separate them

vasectomise your hob for next year and get him a jill to play with then you don't have to worry about separation.. happy hunting :bye:

One jill might no be enough if he keeps forcing himself on the jill he could mark her or cut her and you still have to separate them

How bad can the injuries get from the biting when the hob starts humping the jill? surely its just a small graze?