clip the hair around the cut (wet the scissors the hair will stick to them not the cut ) keep it clean, use salt water, dilute dettol tcp ect. atb sp

thanks for that although it is only small it is slightly 'L' shaped so is not naturally staying closed. is there anything other than stitching? Superglue maybe? I have used it on cut pads before.

Can use superglue but make sure you only glue the edges (the actual skin) and not in the cut itself and leave a small hole at one end for drainage.

Iv used it a few times and its real good, it's what it was developed for!

Can use superglue but make sure you only glue the edges (the actual skin) and not in the cut itself and leave a small hole at one end for drainage.

Iv used it a few times and its real good, it's what it was developed for!

as he said lol, not worth taking him to the vet for that cheaper to sort it out yeah self bud, main thing is keep it clean. atb sp

Thanks again lads. I am actually a psychiatric nurse so have a good idea but wanted good advice off experienced dog men like yourselves. many thanks

that will come in handy being a psychiatric nurse theres some right nutter on here at times lol :laugh:

Thanks again lads. I am actually a psychiatric nurse so have a good idea but wanted good advice off experienced dog men like yourselves. many thanks

that will come in handy being a psychiatric nurse theres some right nutter on here at times lol :laugh:

PMSL!!

Depending on the size of the cut/tear it may be as easy to just leave it to heal by itself, as long as its kept clean.

I had very similar L shape tear on the snout of one of mine two months ago, each bit of the L shape was about an inch long. I opted to just leave it cleaning every other day and it closed up fine, you can barely see it now and thats on a smooth coated dog

Simple, if you don't know take it to the vet and watch what they do then you will know next time. Remember, watch one, do one, teach one????

Charge Nurse Sandymere

personally, as long as it is just in the skin not the tissue underneath then i would leave it. quick wash with salt water if required. trying to glue or stitch it after the event you risk sealing dirt or microbes into the wound which can mean abscess, and a whole lot of trouble

personally, as long as it is just in the skin not the tissue underneath then i would leave it. quick wash with salt water if required. trying to glue or stitch it after the event you risk sealing dirt or microbes into the wound which can mean abscess, and a whole lot of trouble

yep thanks i decided to leave it open and am keeping it clean and applying antibiotic cream.

yep thanks i decided to leave it open and am keeping it clean and applying antibiotic cream.

why apply antibiotic cream? is it infected??? plain old salt water is fine