And Now For Something Completely Different .....

There's been absolutely f**k all going on around here, lately. I have my (Fully Licensed and legal) traps set, most days. Yet, I barely see a bird!

Can't even remember the last time I saw a Blue or Coal Tit. Spotted Flycatchers just sort of shimmered, then were gone. Sparrows ....? Remind me what they look like!

That said; Today I caught Three (Retrap) Great Tits. At least one we'd first seen back in 2011. He was an adult bird then. Doing well for himself then. Still around.

But, it's just now I've come to mention. See, I've just let the Dogs out and, as ever, had the flash light with me.

I always have a glance at this 'Feeder Trap' I have set up. Basically a mesh box with a peanut feeder inside.

Idea is that the sparrows recognise the standard peanut basket, inside. Work out how to get in to it. Then can't get out so easily.

Well, I've had it un set for a while now. But the nuts were visibly going down. Of course, I knew what was going on. Little buggers.

Today, I set it. Retrapped those three Great Tits. Tonight, I left it set. Got the little bugger red handed! He couldn't get out! :D

tn_P7290074_zpsacfd153b.jpg

Apodemus silvaticus. Wood (or) Field Mouse. I like these little characters :) Quite delightful little things.

That mesh is 1/2" x 1/2". No way on gods little green earth could he ever get through it. The traps entrance is much bigger. He came in through that.

He'll eat eggs, mind. Much as a hedgehog will; if he comes across them. But, he's hardly a predatory creature.

Crazy thought for the day, see? If I had an aviary? I'd set " Snap E " boxes inside it.

See? Any House Mice (Mus musculus) got through the mesh? Walking dead before they even get off ground level. See my thinking ....?

Oh. And, obviously, I opened the door so that little sod could get out. I buy my bird feeder peanuts by the 25Kg sack. I can spare a few for the wood mice too ;)

• Like 6

Little c**ts give me the f****n horrors id of had to destroy it......is that right for every 1 mouse you see theres half a dozen you dont.......field or house mice makes no odds they make me wanna throw up :bad: ..............actually i have to be honest id of been on my toes :laugh:

So you aint even getting any Sparrows in Pete.......think they,ve all pitched up round my gaff thats all i can seem to attract !

:icon_eek: That's some phobia ye have there, Gnash! Blimey!

Sparrows? Get some climbing plant going on a north facing wall and they'll nest in it.

The ones round here drive me crazy! They all nest behind the iron girders of these relatively newly built cow sheds. No possible way of getting at them. I've put up rafts of beautiful nest boxes for them and they're completely ignored. F**kers!

Ye know, I've just been out making a cup of tea and decided to go check the back guttering. Put my coat on and headed for the door. Stopped dead in my tracks as a Song Thrush was actually inside one of my traps! One hop and he'd fire it!

Then, for some damn reason known only inside his head, the bugger turned round and came out again!!! I'm absolutely f**king gutted! I've never yet had a songy.

Shamo; It's a 'Potter' trap. Much the same principle as any other, very simple, drop door trap. They touch the 'treadle' (in this case a little perch) and the door comes down.

Only, yesterday I had the infuriating experience of watching a young robin hop in there. Hop over the f**king stick! Then hop back over it on the way out! :laugh: Little bast@rd!

I think what turned that thrush today was the appearance of the resident blackbird who appeared on the scene at just that moment. I'll probably end up catching him. And he's ringed already :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Trigger mechanisms can be adapted for any Trap bud, hard without seeing the actual Potter....they have various methods depending who made it. Eliminate the opportunity of being able to dodge the Trigger. I have several where the Floor is the Trigger and when they land it sets off the Trap mechanism, some are species specific.

• Like 1

I have several where the Floor is the Trigger .....

:clapper: Oh, That is f**king brilliant! The moment I read that, I visualised it! Excellent!

Listen; I'm Really cagey about discussing trap design on a public forum. My bosses would not be at all happy with that. But, you obviously know shit loads more about bird traps than I do. I just buy mine in and work with what I can get my hands on.

If you're willing? I'd be more than happy to pursue this discussion in private? I feel we could likely both benefit :)